It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:02 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Idahone Ceramic Review
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:57 pm 
Site Admin

This was posted by Randy in FL:

I waited a while to write this review because I wanted to test this rod on two types of knife,the western knives,which are sharpened on two sides,and the japanese knives,which are sharpened only on one side,now I know I’m not supposed to hone a single edge japanese knife as the blade is more delicate,but I work in a banquet kitchen where cranking out food for 600 or more people a day is not uncommon... needless to say I do not always have the time to pass the blade through my fine stone just to straighten the edge out. I find the hone is actually very delicate with my japanese knives,you can tell by the feedback you get when you are honing it,the knife responds exceptionally well,if you feel the need to hone your japanese knife and do not want to torture and kill it,then I suggest using ONLY this fine ceramic rod as the steel rods can and will break your blade. As for my western knives which can handle a lot more abuse,keep in mind this is a honing rod and not a sharpening rod,it will certainly help preserve a razor sharp blade for much longer (if that is how sharp you usually keep your knife),and it will help touch up the blade and make it usable as it dulls,but it cannot by any means replace a good pair of sharpening stones. Having said that,if you like keeping a rough edge on your blade or simply keep your knives in crappy condition,this may not be the hone for you,you may need something more aggressive,and if you are dead set on buying ceramic I would recommend ceramic hones from Global,they are much,much more expensive though.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Idahone Ceramic Review
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:33 am 

Still has been my favorite ceramic steel.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:05 pm 

I LOVE my Idahone and I wouldn't buy a butter knife from everything is overpriced Global.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:49 pm 

Thanks for Randy's post.
You will get my Idahone rod away from me only by pulling it out of my cold dead fingers!
I use mine often and it really helps maintain my edges.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:15 am 

I have a Mac black ceramic. Any major difference between the idahone and the Mac?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:18 pm 

Is there any particular technique for honing single-bevel knives?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:16 pm 

The black Mac honing rod is supposedly more durable and has two differently performing surfaces, but if a knife is in such dire straits as to need the more aggressive sides, I would sooner touch it up on a stone. The Idahone is much cheaper and sufficiently durable in my experience. The Mac rod was good, but the Idahone does everything I need a hone to do. It's my go to suggestion.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:02 am 

Himself wrote:Is there any particular technique for honing single-bevel knives?

Being aware of the bevels would be a good place to start. It's common practice for Usuba, Deba, and Yanagiba to have microbevels added to them to aid with edge durability after sharpening. This essentially means that if you were to hone it, it would be a good idea to hone it at the angle at which your microbevel is set. That way, you aren't 're-profiling' the primary edge or stripping away unnecessary metal.
Japanese chefs sharpen their knives to a point where a good session will see their knife lasting the whole day in prep before they touch up their bevels/microbevels on a 4k,6k, or 8k stone at the end of the day, depending on what stone they prefer using.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:03 am 

Chrismit29 wrote:I have a Mac black ceramic. Any major difference between the idahone and the Mac?

Yea, Idahone's just have THAT much more character.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:07 am 

SherskiAUS wrote:
Chrismit29 wrote:I have a Mac black ceramic. Any major difference between the idahone and the Mac?

Yea, Idahone's just have THAT much more character.

Don't forget the best part, the Idahone is $20 cheaper.

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next