It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:23 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: I want to buy sharpening stone for my knife
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:06 pm 

I have a Global G20 chef knife and i want to buy a sharpening stone.
what do you Recommend ?
something i didn't understand already..
can you sharp you knife start with high level of grid stone?
can you start with 1k instead of 400 for example?
what's the Difference?
also, the edge of the knife is slighlty broken, can i fix it ? how?
thank you guys for your great job!

Post subject: Re: I want to buy sharpening stone for my knife
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:44 pm 

A 1k is fine to start with if there is nothing wrong with the edge. If it is damaged you might want to start lower with maybe a 300-500 grit. The reason is that a lower grit stone will remove metal faster so the repair work will not take as long. You can do the same thing with a higher grit stone but just be aware that it could take you much longer to do.

Something like this Imanishi combo stone would be fine: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/imtwosi1kst.html

But you might also consider one of the sets found here: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/shstse.html

The first 8pc set on the page pretty much has everything you will need for sharpening and the ability to add on what you want later.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:22 pm 

Hey, it's me ^^
If i get those sharpening stone is it must buying flattening stone?
What's are your recommendation?
with these equipment shout i get the ideal sharpening for my stone?
what's the using difference between the dmt slurry plate and the atoma plates?
Thank you

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:50 pm 

If you get a waterstone a flattening plate is HIGHLY recommended if not required. A waterstone (regardless of the brand) will wear down and the middle will dish out. That means the middle will be lower than the sides and it can greatly affect the outcome of your sharpening.

The slurry stones from DMT are very small stones used to raise a slurry quickly like a nagura stone. They are not really large enough to effectively flatten a large stone with. You want a larger plate that has about the same surface area of the stone so it will be able to wear down the surface of the stone more evenly and will result in a flat stone when you are finished. The full sized DMT or Atoma plates would work just fine for this and can also act as slurry stones just by giving the stone's top a few scrubs with them.

In order from cheapest to most expensive, here are some popular flattening plates:

140 grit (Might not be completely flat) : http://www.chefknivestogo.com/140grdistflp.html

DMT XXC (Better) : http://www.chefknivestogo.com/dmtextracoarse.html

Atoma 140 (Best of these three) : http://www.chefknivestogo.com/at14dipl.html

Functionally they should all work pretty much the same, you are just getting a better quality plate with each price jump. If you get the cheap 140 grit stone you might see if Mark would be willing to take a quick look at it and see if it's flat before shipping it out. He's a good guy and probably will if you ask nicely. ;) lol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:36 am 

I saw the product description and the video about the atoma 140x
and in the video's the guy doesn't flat the sharpening stone with the atoma..
He actually start sharp the knife with the atoma 140X and then sharp the stone with the sharpening stone..
i think i don't understand the uses of those stones or the method of sharpening knife

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:14 pm 

In those videos Ken is actually showcasing Nubatama stones and they have nothing to do with flattening. You can use the coarser plates to sharpen knives as well. Remember, they are just coarse sharpening stones that can be used to flatten waterstones. You can use them to reset bevels or do blade repairs just like any really coarse waterstone.

Here is a vid where Mark shows the "Green Brick of Joy" and uses a diamond plate in a universal stone holder to flatten it.

You can see here he just scrubs the stone on the plate to flatten it, and then he rounds the corners of the stone as well. You don't have to do that, but some people don't like the square edges. You can also scrub the top of the stone with the plate as well.

Here is another video he did specifically about flattening waterstones.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:24 pm 

Thank you for the patience my friend..
I saw a lot of mark videos and I wouldn't belive the complexity of knife sharpening.
so please advise me what to buy for my necessity because i realy got confused from all the information here.

another question.. i understand that i need to know the hardness of the steel in the cutting edge of my blade before i sharp my knife (my global g20), to do which grid stone start sharp with..
how can i get this information??

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:12 pm 

Ropo, you don't need to know anything about steel hardness to sharpen a knife. 90% of sharpening is holding a consistent angle and using light pressure. It's not as complicated as your telling yourself, it's actually somewhat easy. No physics, trigonometry, or other rocket science to it. The best advice I can give you is buy a stone, use what you've seen in the videos and give it a try. Start small and grow into it.
I'd start with this and give it a try. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/imtwosi1kst.html

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:46 pm 

Global's web site should have the information, but I would guess it is in the mid to high 50s. Any waterstone would work fine and I would suggest starting with maybe this combo stone: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/imtwosi1kst.html

and this 140 grit plate/universal stone holder set: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/xxcdiplandun.html

That will give you a good set to start with for pretty much any knife. You will have a good stone with a 1k and 6k grit, a way to flatten the stone and do major blade repairs, and a holder to give you a little more knuckle clearance and keep the stone stable. You can add more to it as you get better with sharpening. The main thing to consider adding is a lower grit stone, maybe in the 300 to 500 grit range, but that is not absolutely necessary. You will be able to sharpen your Global and if you buy a Japanese knife with harder steel the same set will be able to sharpen that as well.

Edit: Yeah, what Jeff said. lol It isn't a hard thing to do, you just need practice and that Global should be great to practice with. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:20 pm 

Sandpaper on a flat surface will work to flatten a stone too if you don't want to invest in a flattening plate yet.

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next