It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:21 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: I've been schooled!
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 2:29 am 
Forum Moderator

So...I sent a couple of knives to Melampus. He used them, sharpened them, and sent them back. Once I opened the box and felt/looked at the edges he put on them, I instantly dropped myself quite a few steps back down the sharpening ladder....

I'm pulling the video I had on this page. Melampus is right, that the first video really showed a scratch pattern that's really not there. It's probably a result of video artifacts by the camera.

Just to recap, Mel used a Latte 400, Bamboo 1200, Suehiro Rika 5K, Kitayama 8K, 1 micron BC on bovine, and naked horse butt progression. The edge is quite polished, but still with some bite. They are some of the cleanest cut edge bevels I've seen, easily comparing to what I can do with the Edge Pro EP. The tip is cut perfectly and is needle sharp. This area is currently where I need the most practice.

Post subject: Re: I've been schooled!
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 4:59 am 

Would love to see it under a usb microscope...

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 3:13 pm 

Don't feel bad Steve, I'm just glad I can put a serviceable edge on my knives. I dream of the day I'm as good as Mel, Jason, Josh, Peter and many others on this forum!

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 4:07 pm 
Forum Moderator

First, thank you for the passaround STEVE, and it was a pleasure tightening up your edges.

I must say that video looks entirely unflattering :shock: as those edges are SHINING MIRRORS in real life. The video lens creates the illusion of a scratch pattern that is just not there, or it somehow exacerbates the fine pattern that is there into something that looks like that video. That said... the camera can play amazing tricks, and I'm glad you can see & feel what the edges are really like.

Second thing is although you said, "sharpen them how you want, just stay 50/50", I was still very conservative as that Yuki's grind, at least, is borderline too thin on-the-edge. I didn't want to go too acute on such a thin edge as you had already commented on how hyper-tactile a response you get from the edge, and on the Goko, I didn't want to shock you out of the water. TAZ has my 240SuisinIH right now so he sees how I typically open up my own bevels. I also pointed out some areas of mention that I would have done differently if they were mine, but as they are not - I did not. Looking at the video of the Yuki - that undergrind on the heel is still screaming at me, and I would have loved to had leveled it off.

Facts remain, I'm no professional sharpener; I don't do it day in & day out for years & years. I have sharpened a lot of knives over a lot of years, and I am quite capable of getting my knives too sharp for service. For me, there is such a thing.

Anyhow, all-in-all, I'm glad you're pleased as it pleased me to pay back your generosity. 8-)

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 6:57 pm 
Forum Moderator

I'm pulling that video, I was on the fence with it anyway. See my comments in the first post.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]