It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:52 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 3 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: I think you should dump.....
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:36 am 

FWIW when I review the products we sell I basically look at two issues. One is what is not selling well for whatever reason. This can be seen easily in a analysis of your stock and sales data. You are already looking at that and putting items up for sale. The other issue I like to look at is duplication in the products we sell. For example if you look at 240 mm chef's knives and separate them by price bracket that your customers appear to order in, say under $100, $100-$150, $150-$200, and over $200 what products do you have that offer something unique from every other product. Mono-steel blade, cladded with stainless core, cladded with carbon steel core, etc. Does each offer the customer something different? If not, look at the sales of each of the duplicate products and get rid of those that are not as well selling. It might be fun to have more product lines, but if they are not offering value to the customer they are not earning their keep.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:54 am 

Craig, one caveat in this case is the fact that availability is a problem with J-knives. Most of the shops are small, supply shocks and demand spikes can kill availability and/or drive a product from one price point to another in just one shipment. On top of that, when product runs dry restock might be weeks or months away and in some cases that is conservative. Some measure of product "class" duplication provides for more consistent product availability.

Otherwise I agree, the marginal return on one more sku should be a consideration in stocking.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:35 am 

cedarhouse wrote: On top of that, when product runs dry restock might be weeks or months away and in some cases that is conservative.

This is true. I've once waited over a year for a knife and it wasn't even held in customs.

Page 3 of 3 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3