It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:35 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: I need a sanity check on this, please
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:11 pm 

Thanks so much to all who took the time to advise me on this. If I opt for the Edgepro, it'll definitely be the Edgepro essential -- http://www.chefknivestogo.com/edproesset.html -- so no need to discuss that further. The strop set is likewise pretty uncontroversial. I'll be getting that for sure no matter what.

On the stones, if I want to do it on the cheap, it seems I can get by for now with my King 1K. Yes, there are better out there, but the King in the hands of a competent freehander will put a serviceable 1K edge on every knife on my list if I understand the consensus.

For my nicer knives I'm going to want something higher than a 1K edge, and many say the RIka 5K can be used directly after a 1K with no difficulty. Certainly a lot of you recommended it. But I've read good things about the Arashiyama 6K, too -- http://www.chefknivestogo.com/takenoko8000.html .

So, if you guys had to add just one stone to a King 1K, would it be the Rika 5K or the Arashiyama 6K, and why?

I'm pretty sure I will eventually end up with the 400 Latte and the Green Brick, too, but that'll be down the road a ways.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:46 pm 
Forum Moderator

If you're pretty sure about the Green Brick, then get the Arashiyama 6K. From what I understand the Rika 5K finishes at more like a 3K equivalent. If you're going 2K-ish with the GB, the the 6K makes more sense to get now so it fits better into your progression.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:08 pm 

SteveG wrote:If you're pretty sure about the Green Brick, then get the Arashiyama 6K. From what I understand the Rika 5K finishes at more like a 3K equivalent. If you're going 2K-ish with the GB, the the 6K makes more sense to get now so it fits better into your progression.

+1 and the Arashiyama 6K is one of my favorite finishing stones.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:34 am 

About holding a consistent angle. I am right handed. I am no expert, but what I do is always have my left hand finger tips on the blade where it meet the stone, and I mean right on the knife edge, so that my fingertips graze the stone. Blade pressure on the stone comes from the finger tips. My right hand always holds the handle and the knife is moved up and down the stone with both hands. To sharpen the other side, I face the edge the other way, I never switch hands. I do not worry about the angle and this works pretty well. People at work are impressed. Its kind of like baseball. The more you try to hit the ball, the more you miss. Watch the ball, swing, and the ball will hit the bat. The brain can tell your hands what they have to do if you can just let go and stop thinking about it. The pertinent saying is "He who tries to control everything, controls nothing."
stay humble

Page 2 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2