It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:49 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 4 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: I am losing my needle point tips.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:40 pm 

http://imgur.com/ti9g74t
http://imgur.com/bp7aL98

I finally got the picture up my no so pointy tip.
Thanks for the help CKTG.
So, there we have it. That's an example of my dilemma.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:49 pm 
Forum Moderator

Mikey - I'm not the most experienced here, but based on your photos I'll take a crack at it. If the very tip area is just worn or mis-shapen and further sharpening at the tip is not getting to the area that is blunted, then you'll probably need to grind down a little of the spine, starting a couple inches back from the tip and curving it down, mimicking the factory shape as best you can, until you remove enough spine at the tip to get past that worn/mis-shaped area to the full edge bevel. I looks like you'll only need a couple of mm's worth of tip removal. This shouldn't be a difficult fix. Grind the spine, NOT the edge for this fix.

I have a post w/additional details here: post61530.html#p61530.

I've done this on a few different knives, and it's not that bad if you take your time and check your work often. Take off as little of the tip as possible to preserve blade length, while getting past the trouble area. It's pretty cool to fix a knife at the tip and have it as good as new again :-).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:20 pm 

I doesn't look like you are quite making it to the edge at the tip. Paint the edge at the tip next time you sharpen to make sure your hitting the edge at the tip. You may be stopping short around the curve or not elevating the handle quite enough.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:08 pm 

Yep take the spine down a bit. It won't take much. Then re sharpen. As Jeff states your not getting to the edge on the tip. Mark the edge with a Sharpie as Jeff suggests so you know your getting there. After awhile you'll get your technique down and you won't need to use the Sharpie trick. Just takes time and practice.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:50 pm 

Right on, guys! Thanks!
Its't been a bit frustrating. I will work on it tonight.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:29 pm 

A side note, if you don't mind. I have to vintage Sheffields, both with an arrow-like tip and a great distal taper. So, imagine how fragile that tip is. Had to repair them frequently. No big deal with these carbons, a small strip of sandpaper and you're done. By inadvertence I have rounded both tips with stropping on stones. Haven't correct it. Just as functional -- or even a bit more. Not as good-looking as the fine arrows. But no damage any more.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:24 am 

When I fix my tips I usually take it to 2 grits then strop on loaded thick brown paper or cardboard. Usually thats if a tip is really messed up... You probably really need to go low grit as its not broken off or bent off just needs refining. So I would guess you can just use a 1K stone then strop if you need further smoothness of your tip spine.

Because say if you take your spine tip to 220 grit and aren't being careful you can round off your tip again. Leaving you in the same spot you are in now. If your 1K stone is fairly hard you should be able to use the face if its fairly soft then I probably just use the side.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:10 am 

I worked out one of my knives last night and did work the spine at the tip. Excellent!
So that's how I get um back. I have one of mine that is chipped off, by 3mm or so. I will try this technique.
Now I just need to refine my skills so rounding the tip doesn't happen again.
I am having a hard time envisioning what it looks like.
I will get back to the Youtube vids.
Thanks everyone. Keep that great advice coming.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:20 pm 
Forum Moderator

Nice work Mikey! If you've got a bigger tip issue, like that 3mm or so, make sure to start back a few inches on the spine and curve it down into the tip, trying to maintain the look of that original curve profile on the spine. Do it right, and the knife will look like new and like nothing ever happened to the tip area :-).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:17 pm 

SWEETNESS!
I love this. Knife sharpening is the bomb. I have never gotten into anything with this kind of passion, :geek: ever. (notice I didn't say obsession...?) :mrgreen:

Page 2 of 4 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next