It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:32 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: How to trick out my edge pro?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:58 pm 
Site Admin

Dear Mark,
I was given an Edge Pro system for Christmas. What accessories should I order from you? Dog Collar, Angle Pro, Magnets, etc. I am especially interested in the best stones you offer. I assume that these custom stones are better than the ones offered by Edge Pro.
Many thanks,
Jim

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

Post subject: Re: How to trick out my edge pro?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:12 pm 
Forum Moderator

Essential accessories for repeatable, accurate angles with different stones:

Drill Stop Collar
The Angle Cube
Magnet if you want - I like using w/o the magnet. Others really like the magnet.
Blue painters tape to cover the blade sides so you don't scratch them (especially important IMO w/the magnet)

Great stones:
Shapton Glass 500, 1K, 4K. Add a 2K if you want a tighter progression or to finish software Euro steel knives nicely.

The DMT 2x6" dual sided diamond plate is great for flattening the EP stones if you don't have anything for this. You need something to keep the stones flat - they will dish at some point.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:16 pm 

quick change spring is a must: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/edprocospfor.html

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:05 pm 

SteveG wrote:Essential accessories for repeatable, accurate angles with different stones:

Drill Stop Collar
The Angle Cube
Magnet if you want - I like using w/o the magnet. Others really like the magnet.
Blue painters tape to cover the blade sides so you don't scratch them (especially important IMO w/the magnet)

Great stones:
Shapton Glass 500, 1K, 4K. Add a 2K if you want a tighter progression or to finish software Euro steel knives nicely.

The DMT 2x6" dual sided diamond plate is great for flattening the EP stones if you don't have anything for this. You need something to keep the stones flat - they will dish at some point.

+1 to this ^

The 2x6 double sided diamond plate is great for flattinig stones and it can be used in the edge pro for repair work or setting bevels. (I love mine)

For stones I have the Shapton glass stones and yes they are a definite upgrade from the stock stones. I agree with Steve's suggestions on stone progression, but if your not sharpening softer German knives and most of your knives are harder J knives, I would get the Shapton glass 8k instead of the 2k. I typically go 500, 1k, 4k, 8k, 16k Shapton Glass progression and then strop with balsa and .5 micron diamond spay and my knives turn out crazy sharp. I'm very pleased with that.

I do like using the magnet, but like Steve said make sure to use painters tape on your blades and edge pro table to prevent scratching your knives. Once swarf builds up and you start sliding your knifes on the table when sharpening they will scratch with out the tape.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:23 pm 

If you want repeatable results, a notebook is essential. Keep notes on your settings, procedure, and problems. At the next sharpening, you will know exactly what you did last time.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:41 pm 

Dear Mark,
Thanks for the very helpful reply. Since I am new to sharpening by Edge Pro, the additional items and advice are really needed. All of my knives are Japanese: Ryusen Damascus, Masamoto Carbon, Kumagoro Carbon, Fujiwara San Mai, Misono SS. In the past I had these knives sharpened by a friend who was a chef. He moved away and now I'm on my own. The Edge Pro seems a good way to go; but as I get into understanding how the system works, a significant question comes up. Japanese knives, as I understand it, have compound bevels and sometimes asymmetric bevels. The Edge Pro can't do a compound bevel. Are most users of the Edge Pro system "reducing" the compound bevels of their Japanese knives with a flat bevel? And over time establishing a flat bevel by working up the knife edge? By altering the bevel do you create a bevel that wedges? Or do they eliminate the compound bevel and establish a new flat bevel? My chef friend tells me that I can only achieve compound bevels free handing on stones. I realize that this is a very basic question; but I could use some direction on this issue. Thanks to all the replies. Your site is loaded with good knives and good information.
Thanks,
Jim

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:31 pm 

Jim:
With your knives being mainly carbon, you can quickly put another higher bevel
on your knives. Rreally just a few passes.
The tougher SS might take 5-10 depending on what kind of SS...M390 etc.
As far as the stones go, the threads are many. I have found that Nubtamas and Shaptons don't dish much under a light hand, letting the stone do the work. Both will play well with all of your knives.
A helpfull hint is to remember that you will have to take the angle of the knife into consideration when setting you angle. I have found that Germans are usually 4* and Japanese are usually 3* , so take 1/2 of the knife angle (i.e. German 4*) which would have you add 2* to the angle cube reading to get an accurate reading on what angle you want to sharpen the edge .

HTH
Douglas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:36 pm 

+1 on the shapton glass

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]