It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:52 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: How to proceed with this knife?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:06 pm 

Hi folks. So y'all's advice has been super helpful so far. I've been doing a few knives for my gf's mom. I get the practice. She gets knives that can cut through a tomato.

She gave me this one to sharpen the other day.

http://imageshack.com/a/img841/5001/y3w4.jpg

Apparently it's got a lot of sentimental value. She bought it with her late husband. Anyway, it's got some rust on it as you can see. No idea what kind of steel it is. Looks to have a big edge bevel. I'm not sure what I should do first. Try to get the rust off? And if so, how? Also I've been practicing both with the EP and freehand. Slowly getting better at both. Suggestions?

Post subject: Re: How to proceed with this knife?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:12 pm 

If it were my knife, I would put a micro bevel on it. Get it sharp but keep the character of the knife.

Now when I say microbevel it might be a little larger then microbevel. Put a new primary cutting edge on the beast and try to keep the rustic finish in tact.

I would do it freehand because it looks to be pretty old and I like the idea of connecting myself with the craftsman that made it using traditional techniques with modern tools.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:17 pm 

Thanks, I was kinda leaning toward freehand too. Although I don't know if my skills are anywhere near the point I'd be connecting with anyone. :o

So free hand, I would try to get the edge flat on the stone and then just raise it a little to get a microbevel?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:06 pm 

Modern Ontario Old Hickory knives are 1095 carbon steel.

It is likely a very good performing knife with some TLC. I might polish it up a bit with a sandpaper progression and a sanding block to remove the rust, but leave some of the character. Clean up the primary bevel with the same sandpaper progression on a sanding block. Then sharpen a generous micro-bevel with your water stones. Then force a nice patina.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:15 pm 

Awesome! Thanks! Any particular grit I should try. A sanding block is just a block with sandpaper wrapped around it?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:40 pm 

Yes. I watched some youtube vids on this type of thing, but its been a while so I cannot remember what to point you at to find them. You use the blocks to keep the lines crisp. If you did it by hand you would introduce curvature. Of course, looking at the picture again, this is an older blade and there is already some rounding to the Shinogi, you might want to start with a block then move to hand to get into the lows, unless you want to regrind everything. As far as grits, but to clean it up something like 220, 400 would give it a pretty clean look with a patina.

Alternatively, just to clean and polish, you can use Scotch-Brite pads. They are sold next to the steel wool at hardware stores in different grits. They might do a better job reaching into the lows without trying to reestablishing the grind of the knife entirely. Taz turned be on to that idea and I have used it just to clean up the look of a few knives. I cannot remember the color pads I used but I finished on pads listed as something like a 000 or 0000 steel wool equivalent. Then go ahead and grind a new micro-bevel, the one on there is toast.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:34 pm 

Awesome! Thank you! She is going to be psyched when it's done.

On the other hand my Goku 240 Damascus just got here, so now I wanna play with that!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:40 pm 

Just give it a 2k edge if you have a 2k stone. That particular knife is intended for hacking away and maybe cleaning small portions of beef. It's going to work best with a toothy edge.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:19 pm 

Ah, that makes sense. Unfortunately for freehand stones I only have a 220/1000 and a shapton 4k. For the EP, I have the shapton set which also goes from 1k to 4k I think.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:26 am 

It's not Rust it's patina DONT TOUCH IT!!!!!!

Just sharpen and return. It's soft steel so don't go past 1k or it will be dull as a butter knife after it's first use. The bevel is thick and it looks very dull so expect some time on a coarse stone.

Page 1 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next