It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:22 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 4 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: How to manage my sister and her dull knives?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:05 pm 

I bought my sister a Fujiwara 210 and petty about a year ago. They blew her away, and now that all she uses. The problem is; thats ALL she uses for everything. I see her about every two months, and the knives are always dull and chippy. I have to bring my stones every time I see her. The edge only lasts about 2-3 weeks. I bought her a Boardsmith board, but it didnt help much. Shes OK with getting them sharpened every eight weeks or so, but Id really like to see her with knives that stay sharp longer.

I thought I would get her a HAP40, but that may be a while. Her husband says I should buy her more knives, then she would have more to rotate with. She doesn't want to learn about sharpening or stropping, so thats not an option.

So, do I just get her more knives?

Post subject: Re: How to manage my sister and her dull knives?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:37 pm 

Or suggest her husband buy her more knives. Send him a link and make it very easy. I'll argue the other side, when you visit her you now you are sharpening two knives every visit. If you purchased her one or two more, how many do you think you will be sharpening each time you visit her in two months? 1,2,3,or 4?

Personally, my two options would be leave it as is, or get the hubby who is enjoying the fruits of her labors to pitch in via maintenance.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:40 pm 

Find local sharpener for her to go to. Contact her local cooking stores and finer restaurants and see who is local. It would be a shame if your generosity ended up costing you more money. LOL

Also, if she will use a hone, she might be able to stretch between your visits. Hones are easy and fast. Especially ceramic hones. Takes me 2-3 pulls on each side of my SS blades and it is amazing how effective it is on restoring the edge

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:41 pm 
Forum Moderator

I don't consider the FKM series chippy. What is she doing to cause the edge chipping?

Can your brother in law use an Idahone for touch ups between sharpenings?

I think getting another knife for rotating is a good idea. Between that and the ceramic rod, this just might do the trick.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:50 pm 

I sharpen my sisters knives as well so I feel your pain. My question is how often do you coik at her place and how much of an issue is it to you? Enough to bring your own knives, enough to buy her a more expensive knife? If you get her anything, the ceramic hone suggestion seems logical to me. Perhaps the solution is to have her suffer through dull knives until the frustration leads to the desire to learn to sharpen... or do what I do and just keep sharpening them for her because I like sharpening, on a bright note, if you get her another knife, you get to sharpen another.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:57 pm 

I would focus on figuring out why she is chipping the edges. Anything else seems pointless.

Maybe, on your next visit, you two could cook a meal together?

----- edit ----

I'm being unfair to your sister. Maybe her husband is the problem.

Last edited by dougmc on Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:13 pm 

"I don't consider the FKM series chippy. What is she doing to cause the edge chipping?"

My mother in law chipped up her FKM pretty good. I think it is probably a technique issue. If I were to get another, it would probably be softer and thicker...western perhaps ;)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:15 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yeah, find out how she is chipping the knives first. The Fujiwara are on the softer side and shouldn't chip, unless she is putting them in the dishwasher or dropping them in the sink? Let the hubby learn to sharpen or buy her some knives, too. Or you can use that as a birthday or Christmas present to them or something. Maybe get hubby some stones for a gift and see if he takes the hint?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:26 pm 
Site Admin

Teach her how to sharpen. Give her a 1k stone and show her. It takes 5 minutes to learn the basics and then she'll be set.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:43 pm 

Well at least your sister doesn't insist on putting her knives in the dishwasher like mine. I bought her some Wusthofs about 2 Christmases ago,before I really ventured into the japanese knife world Went to visit with her last month and boom, knives in the dishwasher; still insists on it even though I told her the dangers of it to herself and to the knives.

I guess some people can't be educated :roll: :evil:

Knife Experience:
150mm Hiromoto petty
9" New West Knife Works Chef's
270mm Kohetsu AS Gyuto
150mm Masakage Yuki Honesuki
8 and 10" Wusthof Classics
Crappy Mercer culinary school knives

Page 1 of 4 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next