It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:21 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 4 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: How to manage my sister and her dull knives?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:11 pm 

I agree with the posts that recommend buying her an idahone or something to strop on. The technique required for this is very basic and should help. This isn't too much to ask of her. If you continue to do it so often, there is no incentive for her to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:26 pm 

Before I started using diamond plates, and soon stones I used a chefs choice pull through sharpener, the pronto 463. Rated the best pull through by Americas test kitchen. Mine sits unused now but I'm thinking of giving it to my sis in law who cooks a lot but can't sharpen or look after her knives for nuts. In about a minute or two it brings dull edges to push cut sharp. The edge finish is coarse but the two stage sharpener puts a fine micro bevel on the edge that could last a week or two. Then five to 10 quick to and fro strokes brings the edge back to life.

The edge finish is awful but functional and allows a lay knife person to at least have some sharp knives.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:32 pm 

I've always thought knives dull from use and chip from abuse. That's why I would focus on why are the knives chipping.

Or, am I wrong? Should I expect some chipping from proper use?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:35 pm 

kalaeb wrote:Either she wants to maintain her tools or she does not. If not, get her a victorionox and a pull through sharpener and call it good.

+1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:13 pm 
Forum Moderator

@DougMc - IMO if you use an edge friendly work surface and use decent technique - chipping shouldn't NORMALLY be an issue. Very hard or brittle steels or brands that have a reputation for chipping might be exceptions. Also keeping your edge bevels at reasonable sharpening angles for a particular steel helps. Micro bevels can also help.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:48 pm 

@SteveG - Thanks for confirming my thoughts.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:10 pm 

kalaeb wrote:Either she wants to maintain her tools or she does not. If not, get her a victorionox and a pull through sharpener and call it good.

+2 on this.

I bought the Mother in law some Wusthov Classic knives and a pull through sharpener and told her to never put them in the dishwasher because it'll ruin them. After seeing her old knives this was the best option. I prefer the Japanese knives myself and would love to have gotten her some, however I know that they will likely be abused and possibly ruined. She'll cut through frozen chicken, bones, open boxes with them, etc. I bought another friend a set of the Victorinox knives for the exact same reason.

This is your hobby not theirs.

When I look at a high quality knife I see the workmanship and care that went into making it. I appreciate the quality and sharpness of the blade and the way it cuts. If the edge is dull I have to sharpen it right away so that it cuts perfectly, and all is right in the world again.

When they see a knife they see it as something to cut up chicken, open the mail, etc. It's just a tool to them and most people don't take care of their tools. The chips are likely from abusing the knife by cutting through bones, etc. Hell, the brother in law might have used it to strip some wires when hooking up the home entertainment center. You never know. A pull through sharpener is perfect for this type of user. They make them for both German and Japanese style knives. You can still sharpen them from time to time, and I'm sure they'll appreciate it, but they just aren't going to take care of their knives like you do yours. Buying more Japanese knives for her to damage won't fix the issue.

Good Luck.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:41 pm 
Forum Moderator

+ 1 on all that Daf said!

If B-I-L or sister are not going to step up and help a little with maintenance and some proper blade respect, then cheap, soft blades and pull through sharpener are in order.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:40 am 

I have the same problem with my mother in law. Every time I visit her, I sharpen all her knife to arm hair shawing sharp (that is probably to much). We visit her approximatly once every month and then all her knife is back to dull. The reason is that she to no care for her knife. She drops them in the sink when she is finich cutting. There will they lie and slam agains plates and cups for one day before she wash them. I know that she do not put them in the dishwasher. But the point is. Learn your sister to handle the knife correctly and to care for the egde.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:35 pm 

I gave my sister in law a cheapo ceramic pull thru. I sharpen the knives nicely once in a while for them and they run them through the pull through once in a while to keep em sharp. Seems to work pretty well. (Better than their old method of nothing?)

They have german steel knives tho (mostly Henckels)...

Page 3 of 4 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next