It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:52 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 4 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: How to manage my sister and her dull knives?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:36 pm 

Brother in laws are useless (sorry that's my own drama)

Depending on your financial situation and family love..

Buy her two more knives.
Tell her on the first of every month she needs to change knives (petty and Gyuto)
And
You will come every two months to sharpen and a free meal.

El

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:04 am 

socalboo wrote:Find local sharpener for her to go to. Contact her local cooking stores and finer restaurants and see who is local. It would be a shame if your generosity ended up costing you more money. LOL

Also, if she will use a hone, she might be able to stretch between your visits. Hones are easy and fast. Especially ceramic hones. Takes me 2-3 pulls on each side of my SS blades and it is amazing how effective it is on restoring the edge

Hones are easy and fast, to us, but she could probably just as easily ruin the edge as she could fix it. I though about a local sharpener, but who knows how that would go. I've put a nice 15 degree bevel with a 18 degree micro-bevel on them, so Id hate to have some local sharpener destroy that.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:13 am 

cedarhouse wrote:"I don't consider the FKM series chippy. What is she doing to cause the edge chipping?"

My mother in law chipped up her FKM pretty good. I think it is probably a technique issue. If I were to get another, it would probably be softer and thicker...western perhaps ;)

Cedar, she came from thicker Western knives, I saved her, and showed her the light :) .

She doesnt put them in the dishwasher, and she tries not to let anyone else use them, but I remember when I got my 240 Fujiyama. I waited six months before I bough stones, and was it full of micro-chips. Its just over use I think, when I was there for Christmas, she prepped for days with just the Gyuto and the petty. The edge I had just put on Thanksgiving could barely cut paper any more without tearing it

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:20 am 

emaduro wrote:Brother in laws are useless (sorry that's my own drama)

Depending on your financial situation and family love..

Buy her two more knives.
Tell her on the first of every month she needs to change knives (petty and Gyuto)
And
You will come every two months to sharpen and a free meal.

El

It think that's what Ill do, get two more, another gyuto and maybe a nakiri? When Mark gets those HAP40's in, shell get one before I do. Last time I talked to her she told me she was using her bread knife for tomatoes and onions so that her good knife would stay sharper longer. She's a great cook, but i think shes inherited a rock-chopping gene LOL.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:38 am 

if she is a big rocker than that's prob where the chips are coming from, the fujiwaras are pretty thin behind the edge and doubled with the 70-30 grind profile they don't do as well at rocking as say a 50-50, they are prob digging in the board a bit and then shes moving it through the wood as she "rocks" along through the product, if u can teach her to push pull cut with gentle pressure into the board her edges will last the 2 months np, but I mean these are entry level knives and 2months of edge retention is nothing to scoff at in home use, mine get the *&^% punded out of them every day and need a sharpening every week or two, if I do touch ups they last a bit longer.
but really instead of 2 more knives how about 1 more and a cheap combo stone like the imanishi 1-6k that way at least you have a stone there and if you show em how to strop at least they could prob extend life a bit longer.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:12 am 

Teach her husband how to sharpen or at least hone or strop the knives.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:13 am 

cheffiec wrote:if she is a big rocker than that's prob where the chips are coming from, the fujiwaras are pretty thin behind the edge and doubled with the 70-30 grind profile they don't do as well at rocking as say a 50-50,
but really instead of 2 more knives how about 1 more and a cheap combo stone like the imanishi 1-6k that way at least you have a stone there and if you show em how to strop at least they could prob extend life a bit longer.

I changed the bevel to 50/50, it didnt help. Im trying to get her to at least drag the knife though a cork after use, and even thats a challenge. Maybe I should just buy her some "Dimpled Cuisinarts" and tell her they're disposable :-)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:42 am 

i can go two months between sharpening with prepping at a restaurant... :(

those poor knives. Buy her a stone, not more knives!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:38 am 

Either she wants to maintain her tools or she does not. If not, get her a victorionox and a pull through sharpener and call it good.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:48 am 

Knife technique seems to be as much of a problem as dulling. I'd get her something soft and German that will stand up to a little more abuse, plus a Sharpmaker to maintain the edge.

Yeah, I went there. :twisted:

Page 2 of 4 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next