It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:29 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: How do I flatten my sharpening stones?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:13 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mark,

Could you comment on the following questions as well?

I also had questions on the diamond flattening stone.
1- What grit stones can I use this on to flatten them? (currently have the EP Pro kit 3, so EP120, EP220, EP400, EP600, EP1000 stones)
2 - What is the best way to flatten the EP stones with this? I know I need to use this with water, but am not sure of the motion, etc.
3 - At some point I will have to replace the EP stones, and I was thinking of replacing them with Atoma diamond stones for everything under 1000 grit and some shaptons for the higher grits. Would it make more sense to just get a fine/extra fine DMT to level my current EP stones? My concern would be the low grit EP stones would damage the fine/extra fine diamond stone. If I can use a fine DMT stone to flatten my stones without damaging the DMT, I'll go with that since it would reduce the amount of stuff I would have to get.

Thanks,
-Chin

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: How do I flatten my sharpening stones?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:17 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Chin,

I use the DMT XXC all the time. It will flatten all your stones well. For flattening I only use this stone. I don't use finer grit diamond plates.

Here's a brief instructional video I did on the topic:

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: How do I flatten my sharpening stones?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:12 am 
Forum Moderator

For highly abrasion resistant steels, a full set of Atomas 140 400 600 and 1200 for the EP is an ideal first rate solution but somewhat expensive. For less abrasion resistant steels, you can switch to stones earlier than at 1k, but still use the 140 Atoma.

A fine or extra fine lapping plate is too fine to flatten stones. It can be used to texturize the surface but you need a coarser plate for flattening. Ideally consider the 140 Atoma full plate here or the XXC DMT.

---
Ken

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]