It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:07 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 6 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Hos would you rate your sharpenig skills?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:58 pm 

I give myself a 6 on a 1-10 scale, I can make a dull knife shine, and I can make my work knives function. That said, I have much to learn. Hopefully I can just pick the brains out of the regulars here, and produce results

Post subject: Re: Hos would you rate your sharpenig skills?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:26 pm 
Forum Moderator

I don't know how to answer this, but I kind of want to. :)

8.5 to 9 out of 10. I'd say ten cause I don't think there's anything I can't do, but I know there are better sharpeners out there, so they must be the 9.5 to 10 guys. Biggest thing I think they'd have on me is that in order for me to be a 9, I'd have to take my sweet time. Whereas at a 10 I think it's more automatic.

BTW, I'm just playing a fun game. I have absolutely no ego about my sharpening, but mine's an honest guess.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:28 pm 
Forum Moderator

I'm not a 10. I need a little more work on Japanese Single bevels first, and more patience. Patience is so valuable. Frustration kills everything, so don't get frustrated and it won't matter if you're a 10 or not. :D

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:55 pm 

2? lol Not sure I would even rate at this point. I have worked on a few of my wives inexpensive Carvel Hall molybenum steel knives she received from her grandmother when she went to college. There are several that have no bevel left from being "sharpened" on the steel that was a part of the block set. I was able to reset a bevel on a couple with the Beston 500 and clean them up with the Bester 1200. They are not paper slicers by any means yet, but a lot sharper than they were. I have a lot more video watching to do and practice. I seem to be doing ok holding a pretty consistent angle on the flat parts of the blades, but am having a hard time with the transitions into the curved portions.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:16 pm 

@Adam and KF, it seems like a light touch is so important. When advising new people, how much importance would you put on the weight applied to the edge?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:44 pm 
Forum Moderator

A lot of importance. Especially in the finishing strokes.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:52 pm 

I wish I could pick your brain sir. As it turns out I cannot get past the JAVA Script Blocker.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:36 pm 
Forum Moderator

Pick away. :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:55 pm 

I would give myself about a 5. I have only been sharpening about 6 months. I'm actually surprised have far I've come in that time. I've gotten pretty good at holding a consistent angle and put a paper shredding sharp edge on my beaters and Victoronoxes. I think doing maintenance work and working with my hands has helped me pick it up pretty well but I still have a lot to learn. I don't have any good Jknives yet. I wanted to get my sharpening skills up to par before jumping into the knives. Almost time now! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:58 pm 

I would rate myself about 6.5/7. I learned to sharpen on a VG10 gyuto about a year and a half ago, and as painful and frsutrating as it was, i think it was beneficial in ways. I now have a suji and gyuto of white #2 and wow, what a different beast to sharpen. I can get the edges "scary" sharp im told by my coworkers who use wustoff mostly and a few shun which i sold to them. But trying to stay modest, i know i have lots to learn and would love to hear some tips from the pros like shaun and adam.

Page 1 of 6 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next