It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:12 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 4 of 6 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hos would you rate your sharpenig skills?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:27 pm 
Forum Moderator

Okay, here's some criteria: (please don't grill me here, just play along dammit!) lol

1) Setting a bevel at different degrees (aka 20, 15, 10)
2) Repair work (chips and tip repair)
3) Getting rid of over/under grind
4) Making a knife pass the HHT (Hanging hair test) (given the steel is worthy, if you don't know just ask)
5) Sharpening a single bevel knife
6) Getting rid of over/under grind on a single bevel
7) Making good contrast between the cladding and core steel on a single bevel
8) Thinning a knife and doing a micro, or secondary, bevel (single or double bevel knives)
9) Making a cosmetically perfect edge
10) Making a cosmetically perfect edge that still has bite

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:56 pm 

Hi Shaun,

Keeping the flow of ideas moving forward . . . with this list . . . others may have adds and supplements and fine tunes. Would it be worthwhile considering to have a separate forum topic at a high main level to cover the basic sort of sharpening skill building and ratings, etc.?

Then, inside the high main level topic have each of your criteria (1 to 10) listed as its own separate topic - beginning with brief introduction about learning objectives and goals for learning the technique(s) - dos and dont's - things to focus and pay attention to - things to avoid and watch out for - tricks and traps with the technique - etc. starting with 1 or more videos and increasing as needed. Of course, having the sharing with questions and answers about the specific criteria technique.

It seems like this would provide some nice additional "laser" focus on sharpening skills.

I think this will have a real appeal for learning and improving sharpening techniques.

Okay . . . playing along . . .

"If you build it . . . they will come!"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:09 pm 
Forum Moderator

Good gawd, going for the throat on the first dance?

If you overgrind the back of a yanagi too much, it's ruined unless you have a convex platen on a belt grinder to match the urasuki or a (I can't recall the name of that tool they use) specialized tool the Japanese knife makers have.

If you overgrind the front, there's a possibility you ruined it too unless you can regrind the urasuki. Cause you might have to remove so much metal you mess with the urasuki.

Overground single bevel knives are my worst fear when buying a single bevel knife. I can fix a warped blade a lot easier than I can an overgrind. This is why I try to recommend not buying cheap single bevel knives.

10 sounds hard, unless you have diamond spray. :)

7's the most fun.

2's cake with a KMG. :)

Doing 4 for the first time is a thrill you'll never forget.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:19 am 

Rating myself is hard because I only have two examples to go by. My results and the edges on brand new knives from production companies like Spyderco, SOG, CRKT, and some others. I've had two Spydercos come that I consider VERY VERY sharp. At that time I was not able to get knives that sharp. Now I can as a result of lots of help from people on forums like this one and lots of practice as well. Since I can now get my knives as sharp or sharper than the other knives that I feel were the sharpest knives I've seen I might be inclined to say I'm a 10. But, I'm sure there are people who can get an edge sharper than I can. Also, it seems there is more to the knowledge and ability than just getting a knife sharp. For an all-around seasoned sharpener he/she should also be able to sharpen an edge to the specifications of a customer or himself. Is the edge to be toothy or smooth? Does the edge need to be that of a straight razor for a barber or possible something finished with a 1k stone for a toothier edge. Being flexible in the results is as important I'd think as just being able to get a knife sharp.

Just for fun I'll call myself a 7. I may be able to get a knife as sharp as most others but my experience in the variety of edges and how to obtain them I'm sure is lacking.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:46 am 

Damn Shaun, if your going to make this game that hard I'll just call myself a 1.5 and be happy. I can put a decent edge on a Victorinox. :geek:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:59 am 
Forum Moderator

Hmmm, this might be fun actually!

About number 6... I do realize that after a certain point, yeah, the single bevel is ruined by overgrind, but I guess this would be more along the lines of minor flaws, such as small holes in the grind from the grinding wheel. It's as simple as taking the time to grind the whole bevel down by hand, but not messing up the shinogi line. This criteria does not include refinishing the cladding, because not all knives with a shinogi are clad.

The real question for each person is going to be: "Is my goal 'realistic', or is this knife just too f-ed to fix?".... and you can always take pics and ask other or advice if you can't determine yourself if the knife is beyond help. There are cases where a knife is beyond help, and you just have to accept it and move on. The first couple like that can be embarrassing, because you want to be able to fix everything, but the reality is that sometimes it's just not worth it, trust me.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:58 am 
Forum Moderator

Knife Fanatic wrote:Okay, here's some criteria: (please don't grill me here, just play along dammit!) lol

1) Setting a bevel at different degrees (aka 20, 15, 10)
2) Repair work (chips and tip repair)
3) Getting rid of over/under grind
4) Making a knife pass the HHT (Hanging hair test) (given the steel is worthy, if you don't know just ask)
5) Sharpening a single bevel knife
7) Making good contrast between the cladding and core steel on a single bevel
8) Thinning a knife and doing a micro, or secondary, bevel (single or double bevel knives)
9) Making a cosmetically perfect edge
10) Making a cosmetically perfect edge that still has bite

6) is a PITA for all obvious reasons. Hate it!
10) isn't that hard if you use the right stones that keep cutting instead of polish ;)

So 5 and 6 are my main culprits. I can sharpen them just fine, but takes too long for me to do it often.

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:07 pm 
Forum Moderator

Kinda funny, but it looks like that's almost a complete list. I want to start a new thread on this, just don't have the brain power to devote today, gotta get on some other stuff in a bit. :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:57 pm 

Upon seeing the new list, I'd like to withdraw my 2 and make that a -1.....lol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:11 pm 

So I was just wondering who the heck "BDL" is, and it turns out he has graced my Subject Misspelled post with his presence. Awsome!

A Brief Biography: Ex-Navy Seal; Ex-Victoria’s Secret model; Turned down a three-way with Sophia Loren and the young Marlene Dietrich (as in the Blue Angel) because had other plans; Knows who killed everyone in The Big Sleep, and why; Chaired the work-group which invented Time, Space, Gravity, Fire and Holiday Sweaters; Prefers Dickel to Jack.

Also, if single bevels and purely cosmetic sharpening and polishing count... I don't deserve a grade.

BDL

Page 4 of 6 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next