It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:24 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Honesuki recommendation?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:23 pm 

dinoadventures wrote:I'm thinking something like this http://www.chefknivestogo.com/cckcleaver3.html

I am thinking too thin and delicate. The CCK cleavers I have seen are all pretty thin (maybe 2-3mm at spine). Their purpose is more vege prep and breaking down primals, trimming fat and going in between bones, but not through them.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:43 pm 

@Umberto, yup. Totally agree. I typically do go around the joints. It is only the last cut along the ribs and to split the breasts where I go through bone. I was hoping there was a knife out there that could do both the fine cutting and cut the breast and ribs. However, it seems like the consensus so far is honesuki for the fine cutting and a cleaver or shears for the bones. I'm very interested in additional thoughts, though.

@socalboo, agreed on Hawthorne, but couldn't resist the opportunity for a shunning joke and literary reference. I agree with you on the shears--both my kitchen shears and my poultry shears split for washing for the same reason as you like. On the knife, I'll definitely take a look at the honkatsu too. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:24 pm 

"The CCK cleavers I have seen are all pretty thin"

I haven't handled these, but I always understood them to be beasts...for use on beasts.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/cckbonechopper.html
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/cckcleaver.html
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/cckbukn.html

"I was hoping there was a knife out there that could do both the fine cutting and cut the breast and ribs."

I think a mid weight knife could do all your lighter prep work and break down a chicken, but only through the joints. A knife to go through bone I don't think you would want to use for much else.

I use an Artifex Honesuki and like it very well for its purpose. I think I am about to try a Honkatsu because I want a bit more versatility in meat prep. I have never tried to go through bone though, so don't have any advice there.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:26 pm 

Okay, looking through everyone's suggestions so far, I think this is what I'm going to do:

1. I'm reconsidering my anti-shear stance. I'm going to try buying a pair of the Richmond ones from the website and give them a bash. If they are great, then lesson learned and I can update to ones that split for washing at a future time.

2. I'm getting the Artifex honesuki to give it at try. I don't mind a dedicated, single-purpose knife and I have a traditional German carving knife that seems close to the honkatsu (but that may just be to my uneducated eye--I haven't held a honkatsu, so could be missing details). So I think the honesuki will be a good trial. I might even start de-boning my breasts. Maybe.

3. I'm taking my Grandmother's carbon steel scimitar out of the storage drawer and putting it back on the knife strip to see if I reach for it more or less than the sheers.

If anyone thinks I'm making a grave error, feel free to chime in!

Thanks, everyone for the great discussion so far.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:57 am 

Hankotsu's look like a western boning knife, but don't let that fool you they are an unusual animal. They are relatively thick at the spine and heavy. The tip is along the lines of Kiritsuke style. Highly assymetric grind. There is no bolster or finger guard to keep your fingers from slipping onto the blade. Instead, on a true Hankotsu the last 1/4 of the blade is left unsharpened. There are a few hybrids like the Richmond that have the entire blade sharpened http://www.chefknivestogo.com/riarhabo16.html

I'm an odd duck and actually prefer it to a Honesuki by a large margin. I had no clue what I was getting when I bought mine and it took a little adjustment period, but now I absolutely love it. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tagrchha.html

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:16 am 

I cut a lot of chicken...love a honesuki. For bone in breast you want poultry shears. Too much hacking leaves bone shards/splinters. You won't part out the bird with a cleaver, so you will be picking up a different tool anyway. I suggest picking up the shears instead of the cleaver.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:31 am 

Great! I've ordered the poultry shears and the honesuki. I'm excited to try the new knife style. Thanks, everyone. I really appreciate the help.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:08 am 

Let us know how it works out for you after you've had a chance to break down a few birds.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:18 pm 

Great! Which honesuki did you order? And yes, report back.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:29 pm 
Forum Moderator

Red - I think he's getting an Artifex. Good choice.

Page 2 of 3 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next