It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:18 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Honesuki recommendation
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:13 pm 

Hi there,

I am looking to buy a Honesuki. 150mm should be just right, like most them are. Main application purpose will b to cut and clean up poultry and beef. I'm willing to spend about $200, but wanted to have something a bit unusual. I would prefer a Japanese handle and want it to be ultra sharp (Takeda Kiritsuke). I have no issues taking good care of it. I sharpen my knives up with synthetic water stones but finish them off with a natural one.

Looking forward to some recommendations... I was eying the Makasake Yuki or Shimo but am not sure how exciting they are... Also thinking about a Konosuke HD, but not sure how the performance will compare...

Mike

Post subject: Re: Honesuki recommendation
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:14 pm 
Forum Moderator

The Masakage knives I've used/seen have all been very well made. Not seen the honesuki specifically though.

Not sure what you mean by "unusual" though.

The Kono HD steel will perform very well. Again, not used it to specifically comment on it though.

Unlike gyuto's, you're probably not going to have a lot of people who've used many different honesuki's.....not exactly a knife people typically own several of. :)

I have the Suisin HC and really like it. I use it in my home, so it doesn't see a ton of use, but it maintains it's edge well and gets very sharp.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:56 pm 

Thanks for your fast response Adam.

hehe, fair point. I've seen a few live and I like them because they're sturdier than your universal kitchen knive at that size will.

Unusual as in has a nice look to it, i.e. doesn't look like your average knife or is make of a special material.

Which particular Suisin do you have? I couldn't find it on CKTG. ... I'm also open for any other suggestions.
The Kono HD seems to be fairly thinner than the Masakages, will it be more "flexy" for that reason? I think I'd rather have a sturdier knife for taking apart meats.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:25 pm 
Forum Moderator

INTESTINA <> The Honesuki design is, in of itself, unusual & far from average.

I have the Konosuke HD & Moritaka AS.

The Konosuke might fit your bill as interesting, beyond the HD steel, as it's right handed single bevel. There's no urasuki so it's like a 90/10. It is a stiff knife; as is the Moritaka. I have only handled these two, but I can't imagine any Honesuki being flexible which is why I don't like them for meats. It is a very purpose built design that dismembers a bird's joints exceptionally, but I don't like it for much else. This is why the Hankotsu is gaining steam; it's simply more versatile. Speaking of which, Butch is making a small bunch of Hankotsu right now. Now, that would be FAR FROM AVERAGE! http://www.chefknivestogoforum.com/butch-harner-hankotsu-t3263.html

The Moritaka, like the Takeda, are 50/50 edge bevels & both high Hrc AS. Moritaka AS has always impressed the hell out of me, and the Honesuki is one of those kind of sharps... one of those scary kinda sharps.. where scalpel sharp is an accurate descriptor. Of note, at least this Moritaka's grind has got a serious convex that takes some serious focus to sharpen properly...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:03 pm 

Melampus - this is some very helpful info!

I think I am leaning more towards the Moritaka as as it has a 50/50 edge. I'm leaning towards the Yuki series as I'm taking a liking to the simplificy of desing over the "fancier" Shimo...

One last question on the sharpening ... you're point being that it will take a lot of detailed work to get it to a level of scalpel sharness given steep the grind is?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:34 pm 
Forum Moderator

INTESTINA <> FYI: I added some info above.

#1) You say you're leaning towards the Moritaka, but then you reference two Masakages.?! And on that note, be aware the Shimo is fully reactive while the Yuki is stainless-clad. Neither of which I had previously mentioned though.

2#) My comment on sharpening the Moritaka was in regards to the pronounced convex. I start at the top of the bevel & blend the convex into the cutting edge by sort of riding the crest of the convex. You get a feel for it when you roll over it. Some will do a bevel above, a bevel below, and then blend them to round the convex.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:34 am 

I completely misspoke with the Moritaka - I actually wasn't eying that one, but a friend was just telling me about, so I must have had that name in my head.

1) I was definitely only looking at the Masakages... but I guess they will put on a quite nice edge as well?!

2) sounds like a lot of work, but I guess that's due to the nature of the thicker bevel on the top....

3) the Hankotsu seems really cool. Now you definitely have me thinking. Even though it's a single bevel it seems like THE knife to be playing with meats with ... and yeah - I guess Honesuki is very very specific.

I'm definitely a bit indecisive now :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:40 am 

* edit 1) I am not worried about my knives being very reactive ... is there a major difference in performance?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:35 am 
Forum Moderator

INTESTINA <>

3)Butch's Hankotsu will be double-bevel.

1) The Masakage Shironiko will get silly sharp.

2) Your number two is referencing sharpening a pronounce convex? Yes, it's work, but it splays food like nobody's business.

The third image exhibits the convex grind on the Moritaka. The second image exhibits a convex final bevel. This next diagram demonstrates the blending of bevels to create a the latter convex edge bevel.

Honestly, I create a 70/30 edge bevel that transitions into the convex blade road; it's sort of a hybrid between the 1st & 3rd images in the first diagram.

4)Your last question is what? Is there a difference between SS & carbon steel, or is there a difference in stainless-clad carbon, non-stainless carbon & mono-steel carbon?

Regardless, the major difference is ease of maintenance. Carbons & iron-clad carbon require care... now. Stainless-clad require care - just the same, but there is a much smaller surface area of carbon steel exposed. Stainless... you get to it when you can. Stainless steels traditionally had larger carbides as to carbon steels & would not sharpen as easily or as finely, but nowadays that gap has closed dramatically. SS such as AEB-L has such fine grain carbides, it will sharpen to a highly refined edge & easily.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:16 am 

The visualization was really helpful. Thanks a lot!

So, here are the final candidates (I had a little more time this evening). I ruled out the Masakage Shimo because I just don't like the "frost" design very much.

1. Konosuke HD2 150mm Wa-Honesuki: 2.8oz, 2.2mm thick, Single bevel, material: HD2
2. Konosuke Fujiyama White #2 Honesuki 150mm: 5oz, 1.9mm thick, not sure if single or double bevel, material: White #2.
3. Masakage Yuki Honesuki 150mm: 4.0oz, 4.1mm thick, double bevel, material: Shirogami #2 (White #2) carbon steel clad with stainless steel

What are your thoughts on?

- Overall touch and feel when cutting? Not sure if the Kono White # is really 5oz at only 1.9mm ... I'm a little worried about the thickness of the Masakage.
- Edge sharpness and retention
- Ease to sharpen
- Cool-looking, i.e. "interesting".

I think I'll be able to make a final decision after this one...

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next