It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:09 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Honesuki recommendation
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:40 am 
Forum Moderator

INTESTINA <>

1) Like I said, I only have two to comment on first hand. The Fujiyama has a cladding that I'm 99% sure is iron. Pure iron, unit : unit, is heavier than steel so it would make sense its heaviest. That said CKTG statistics have been wrong before. In the same vein, the Masakage dimension is likely wrong, and if it's correct, it's most surely measured at the tang/ferrule junction. I can't say as I don't own one, but I'm sure there's a distal taper. Not as tapered as you might be used to on a chefs/gyuto, but I can't imagine a 1/2cm spine all the way to the end before it drops into the thinner "tanto" tip.

The HD, in its light, thin, mono-steel form, is inherently going to have the most feedback, but these are all the crème de la crème. Anyone will impress you.

IMO, you will garner the best edge retention from the HD. As for sharpness - as you call it, HD & Shironiko both get crazy sharp. Its just a fact. Yes, maybe if you have the capability, albeit tools & skill set, you can get a slightly finer edge on the Shironiko, but even if that's the case... it's close. They'e both ultimately competent steels.

They're going to be easy to sharpen. The HD is thin mono-steel, and although you have to grind through jigane on the thicker clads, the Shironiko grinds like butter. Ultimately, its a real close toss up.

The Fujiyama is the coolest looking... to most.
The Yuki is refined simplicity; sand-blasted jigane, distinct cladding line, simple oval Wa, red ferrule (if you're into that).
The HD has the baddest aesthetics. No bullshit. No games. Practical perfection. (my totally biased musing ;) as I hate/despise/abhor bling - all I care about is performance).

But the coolest looking is going to be the Harner Hankotsu although it will be $400-$500 probably. I see Stephan Fowler is at the forge lately; maybe asking for a Honesuki is an option for you because that would cool looking & performing. Fowler mono-steel 52100. ;) http://www.chefknivestogo.com/stfo15ho3.html

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:11 am 

*forgot to mention make quality, I.e. how well is it made

And also, is there any way to figure out if the Fujiyama truly comes without any engravings on the blade as shown on the website?!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:31 pm 

Yeah - this will be a tough one. I'm somehow set on either one of the Konos though.

The Fujiyama is hand-forged vs. the HD is "machine made"? Also, any clue how I can find out if the Fujiyama truly comes without any engravings on the blade as shown on the website?! (I know, that's kind of a ridiculous detail, but I guess one could argue dropping this type of $$ on a knife purely to cut meats with is up the same alley).

yeah - I have a very small window to buy the knife as I don't live in the US and will only be out there for a few weeks... Otherwise I'd definitely look into one of those. Actually I've been eyeing the Butch Harner Nakiri which looks just impeccable and probably performs equally well... I'm just not sure if I can justify the price value in my head.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:55 pm 

Konosuke puts the engravings on the left side. All the knives shown with the left side have it; the ones shown with the right side don't. I'll bet it's there, but email Mark if it's that important to you. Or maybe he'll answer here.

Mel is right that the HD2 line is simple and not about the bling. The handle is quite simple. Given that the gyuto in that line is considered a laser, I'm surprised by the difference in thickness. But, stats can be off, and spine thickness could be measured at different places.

Count me among the "most" in finding the Fuji looking significantly nicer. To me, it's still simple, but far more sophisticated and elegant, with the ground blade, and the ebony handle with blond buffalo horn. (Yes, the ebony handle probably contributes some to the weight difference.) And it's not that much more than the HD2.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:05 pm 

Intestina wrote:....Also, any clue how I can find out if the Fujiyama truly comes without any engravings on the blade as shown on the website?!
Send Mark an email and he will tell you for sure.
As far as anything Fujiyama I can't say, but as Mel has said many times, HD2 steel "is a gift from the gods!".

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:25 pm 

Does anybody know if the Fuji is a single or double bevel? I didn't manage to find that out, suspect single though.

Thanks again for all your help! The argument with the engraving makes sense...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:43 pm 

Pulled the trigger on the HD ... really appreciate everybody's input here!

I'll let you guys know once I've gotten a chance to play with it....

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:19 pm 

I'm sure you'll love it!

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2