It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:24 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 5 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Holy Shig!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:01 pm 

OK, so sacked up and bought a Shigefusa Kasumi 240MM though they weren't available yet on GKTG unfort. Sorry Mark :( This now, absolutely, no questions asked, hard-stop is my last gyuto buy for a long, long time. Also have the EP Essential with an extra 8K stone coming so should be good to go with the recent purchases.

Next knives that need upgrading, filet and paring (both well over 10 year old Henckels international currently), slicer/suji (currently use a global classic slicer which I actually think is fairly decent, if not a little bit too ductile) and a heavy cleaver (have a piece of crap Precis that is gouged/chipped beyond belief. Used to dick around with it a lot in my college years...) and that should just about cover it.

Post subject: Re: Holy Shig!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:03 pm 

With the Shig, I just couldn't resist as I own a Sig Sauer P226 and really, really want a pick with a Sig and Shig. Joking.. Sort of..

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:29 am 

I can relate - sold a Devin and bought a Rader - it's a deep, deep rabbit hole.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:01 am 

I need to get into investments. I think you've acquired a most impressive knife collection in a month than I have in half a decade.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:08 am 

That is definitely a well dug hole. Luckily, I'm still sampling the wares. Lots of steels/profiles, weights, blacksmiths etc. (not to mention actually learning how to sharpen) in front of me before I'm making custom trades like that. BTW, still scratching the obvious surface and hadn't even heard of Rader. Checked out his site... Damn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:29 am 

I wish I were in investments too.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:41 am 

How is the shig? It's on my now very short list of knives to try. I just don't think I could drop 1k for the kitaeji that I REALLY want. 1k for a Kato Kikuryu as well :( So much for the damascus versions....

Chris

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:05 am 

Thought the same thing. The kitaeji is one hell of a nice looking knife, but couldn't get enough discerning feedback that delineated the difference in performance vs. the Kasumi to contemplate spending an additional $200 (double that for a western handle).
I haven't received the Kasumi yet as I only placed the order today, so nothing of value to impart yet.
Love everything I've read/seen about Katos. As you mentioned, tough to find a decent production under 1K. JNS carries a line made by him, but they are brutes. A 240 weighs in close to 10 oz.. I've had a few conversation on this forum about heavy, duty driven blades and just couldn't see spending >$500 on a suped up german. To your point, the Katos on CKTG look absurd, but are def. out of my price bracket right now.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:51 pm 

That 210MM Kato actually looks pretty fantastic http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kika21gy.html#.U6cUy_nIY2U, but I was looking for a 240 as I'm pretty well covered in the 210 range w/a Shimo and TKC and $1K on the kato damascus was def. above budget especially as I had to grab an EP Essential and an 8K stone.

As a side note, I'm really digging the Masakage Shimo. It's a large 210 (just about 8.75 inches) and performs like a dream. Will post a review with some pics later next week on that guy. It's been a ton of fun getting a feel for the personality of the current knives I have in the block. Love em all so far actually and certainly hoping the Shig will be a nice topper to the collection (will post some pics when it arrives).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:00 pm 

I should also note the reason behind grabbing 2 gyutos in each format isn't pure superfluousness. I go out of town on the weekends and actually do a good bit of cooking/entertaining there. So the Haru and TKC are probably going to be living in the country and the Shig and Masakage will be staying at home.

Page 1 of 5 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next