It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:56 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 4 of 5 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Holy Shig!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:45 pm 

So, OOTB, the blade isn't as freakishly sharp as my Haru or Shimo were, but a couple slides on the ceramic rod got it arm hair shaving sharp which is more than sharp enough for this knife. Only did some light dicing of tomatoes to see how the reactivity might shape up. Was very pleasantly surprised. The iron cladding, at least so far, is far, far less reactive than the cladding on Shimo. There was some, but nothing crazy.
Balance on this knife is unreal. When you pick it up in a pinch, you can open your hand without making any kind of adjustment and the blade sits there, completely level. F&F, as expected is the best out of any of the knives I own. The kasumi finish is a thing of understated refinement, the detail on the kanji is fantastic, every contact point has been tended to etc. etc. The kneck of the knife is curved ever so slightly to meet the handle and taper of the spine which creates almost a miniature bolster effect in terms of feel. Makes it very comfortable to hold in either a racquet grip or pinch, but pinch just happens naturally as soon has you pick it up.
The craziest thing about the knife is the blade geometry and the grind. Basically, this is the knife that a Nenox has wet dreams about. The convexing is so smooth and seemless it's almost unbelievable it could be achieved by hand. The grind behind the edge is thin, thin, thin. It's so thin that without even sharpening the thing (aside from the minute sharpening that occurs on a ceramic rod I ran it across), the blade wanted to stick into the board if force beyond what is provided by the weight of the knife is applied.
I love the weight of the knife as well. Feels like it is probably in the mid/upper 7 oz range (maybe 7.5-7.8). It instills incredible confidence. All of this conspires to create something that goes exactly where you tell it to. Really cool and a completely different experience than anything I've ever used before.
As I began to say in the previous post, this knife almost feels like it's telling you it does not want to be coddled. It's not here to look good (which I think it does anyway) or be preened over, but to eviscerate shit all day, every day.
I can't wait to really put this thing through the paces.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:11 pm 
Forum Moderator

Chip, I'm still coddling it, but to me the Takayuki Ginsan 240 exudes the same "let's go to work" attitude. She looks really good, but she ain't no Damascus clad, mirror polished Disco Queen :-). Not that there's anything wrong with that...;-)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:42 pm 

Ha! For sure. The Shimo is really the only flower, if you will, in block so the Shigs character is definitely more in line with my aesthetic tendencies. Out of curiosity, did you force a patina on yours or let it develop? Debating it myself.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:03 pm 
Forum Moderator

The cool thing about the Takayuki Ginsan - stainless cladding, stainless core :-).

Now the Ikeda AS Damascus 250 I have is a different story. Reactive cladding and AS core. Just letting a patina naturally develop. It's not been super reactive. I often use it to slice meat and poultry, so the patina is an interesting variety of muted blue hues, etc. You can see the start of it in the QL video: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/taik24dagy.html

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:06 pm 

Oh, I misunderstood. I thought you were saying that you coddle your Shigefusa...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:09 pm 

That Ikeda patina looks great though!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:20 pm 

SteveG wrote:The cool thing about the Takayuki Ginsan - stainless cladding, stainless core :-).

Now the Ikeda AS Damascus 250 I have is a different story. Reactive cladding and AS core. Just letting a patina naturally develop. It's not been super reactive. I often use it to slice meat and poultry, so the patina is an interesting variety of muted blue hues, etc. You can see the start of it in the QL video: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/taik24dagy.html

Pretty much looks like my Ikeda, though mine has different colors because I use it on mostly produce.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:28 pm 

So decided to force the patina to avoid any potential nasty onion issues. Here's a pic forcing it with chicken breasts after about 2 cycles. Will continue with chicken and meat tomorrow to make sure it is stable. Again, sorry for the bad pic:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:04 am 

Nice, I like that look.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:09 am 

Thanks cedar. The pick doesn't really do it justice as the blue tinting is really pretty solid. Not as uniform as what I believe darkhoek was aiming for with his mustard/vinegar method, but solid nonetheless. And unlike his method (at least when I tried it on the Shimo), the patina seems to be pretty stable so far (haven't run it through the gamut as I want to stick the sucker in a couple more chicken breasts and a sirloin before I mess with the seriously browning ingredients) and doesn't look like someone spilled a bottle of Miller High Life on it.

Page 4 of 5 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next