It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:44 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 5 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Holy Shig!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:19 am 

I've been keeping tabs on the Shimo as well. I first saw it on another site and was stoked when Mark picked up the line. I really like the way it looks and from reading the reviews, it appears to perform pretty bad ass as well. I am personally at the point that I don't NEED anything as far as knives go, but can't stop looking and reading reviews :) My next purchase will probably be a suji (I really like the
Anryu hammered) because I don't have a dedicated 'slicer'. Of course, I rarely cook anything that requires a dedicated slicer, but that's what addiction is all about! LOL

Chris

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:07 am 

Chris, the Shimo is f***in tremendous. Handle is a bit small for me, but that's my only real gripe. I'm absolutely in love with the edge profile and the grind. Wouldn't mind a bit more taper to the spine and a thinner tip, but not sure that is possible with the absolutely phenomenal convexing throughout the bulk of the blade.
With ya overall. I probably could have stopped after my first purchase/s, but at this point, may pick up a meth habit just to get me off the knife kick.
Suji is probably next on my list as well. Actually use my global classic slicer quite a bit for a home cook. I'd peg my slicer duty at about 1-3 nights a week. Will probably continue to use the global a good bit, but too much flex, and hollow grinding for a really clean cut.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:07 am 

If you use a slicer 2+ days a week, you're well into good sujihiki range. That's how often I use mine at home. Any considerations?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:30 am 

Would certainly like one, though haven't put a whole lot of thought into it. Maybe a Kono?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:56 pm 

So, since my Shimo is iron clad like the Shig Kasumi, I decided to practice forcing a patina with the darkhoek method. Added some cow protein powder to the mix for some extra effect. The attached picture doesn't do a great job picking up the bluing, but came out pretty well I think
Shimo Patina.jpg [34.84 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:26 pm 

It's a very solid patina. Shows off the cladding very well. What colors does it reflect?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:47 pm 

It reflects some a great blue and copper/red streaking on the exposed parts of the core white #1. Unfortunately, the iron itself doesn't get quite as attractive, but could be a lot worse than the champagne hue.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:51 pm 

Has it reduced the reactivity?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:02 pm 

Definitely. Took about 2 hours to reapply, set, wash and repeat a number of times, but now much, much better than before.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:10 pm 

Scratch that. Just put it through a tomato and displayed no reactivity. Followed up with an onion dice for good measure and still had some reactivity. Not as bad as before, but looks like there is still some work to do.

Page 2 of 5 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next