It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:10 pm

All times are UTC



Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!





 Page 4 of 7 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Hinoki cutting boards
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:28 am 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:19 am
Posts: 313
Dan_Crubenew wrote:What would be the difference specifically that you are expecting V. end grain wood?

I'm not familiar with the difference; any information is, as always, much appreciated.


Dan The main difference between a end grain cutting board and a edge grain is the position of the wood. With a end grain cutting board, the cutting surface of the board will be the end grain. This is easiest on your knife, since the blade will slip in between the grains in the wood. It also gives the board a semi self healing property as cuts and marks will naturally close up some over time.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hinoki cutting boards
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:58 am 

Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:44 am
Posts: 43
Location: Tampa, FL.
:D I keep my BoosCherryWood fairly soft, I have to, Otherwise I'd lose the tip to my Bunka. And we can't have that, A few of yous were eying it. :lol:


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hinoki cutting boards
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:04 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:44 am
Posts: 1006
Hutch wrote:
Dan_Crubenew wrote:What would be the difference specifically that you are expecting V. end grain wood?

I'm not familiar with the difference; any information is, as always, much appreciated.


Dan The main difference between a end grain cutting board and a edge grain is the position of the wood. With a end grain cutting board, the cutting surface of the board will be the end grain. This is easiest on your knife, since the blade will slip in between the grains in the wood. It also gives the board a semi self healing property as cuts and marks will naturally close up some over time.



Thanks Hutch.



_________________
Only after Winter comes do we know that the pine and the cypress are the last to fade.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hinoki cutting boards
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:08 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:44 am
Posts: 1006
I see only 3 sizes listed on CKTG but there are 4 sizes in the description?

What is the largest one that you have available? Two of the entries are described as "medium"
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/waaohicubo.html

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/aomori1.html



_________________
Only after Winter comes do we know that the pine and the cypress are the last to fade.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hinoki cutting boards
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:47 am 

Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:28 am
Posts: 170
Dan_Crubenew wrote:I see only 3 sizes listed on CKTG but there are 4 sizes in the description?


The product image has a label on the board and I see the 4 sizes listed as:

SS size: 205 x 300 x 30mm
S size: 205 x 380 x 30mm
M size: 235 x 420 x 30mm
L size: 235 x 480 x 30mm


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hinoki cutting boards
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:32 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:44 am
Posts: 1006
Jason T wrote:
Dan_Crubenew wrote:I see only 3 sizes listed on CKTG but there are 4 sizes in the description?


The product image has a label on the board and I see the 4 sizes listed as:

SS size: 205 x 300 x 30mm
S size: 205 x 380 x 30mm
M size: 235 x 420 x 30mm
L size: 235 x 480 x 30mm



I saw that paper on the board too, when I looked closely.



_________________
Only after Winter comes do we know that the pine and the cypress are the last to fade.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hinoki cutting boards
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:04 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:34 pm
Posts: 341
I just ordered the Wasabi Aomori Hiba Cutting Board 11 7/8 x 8 1/8 x 1 1/4 which Mark has offered as a try me out offer for $49.95. My wife rarely uses a knife with a blade larger than 6 inches. I also figure it would be a decent size to use with a Petty, maybe even a Santoku.
If I like the board, I may consider getting the large one since I usually use a board at least 18X15
I will post a review on the Wasabi after some use.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hinoki cutting boards
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:29 pm 
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:18 pm
Posts: 7663
Location: Madison Wisconsin
The board item pages take some work and you've been watching me work on them a little at a time. All 4 are available now and I have the prices right and pictures of them.

Let me know if I screwed anything up. :)



_________________
Mark Richmond
Chefknivestogo

Chefknivestogo Blog
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hinoki cutting boards
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:43 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:44 am
Posts: 1006
chefknivestogo wrote:The board item pages take some work and you've been watching me work on them a little at a time. All 4 are available now and I have the prices right and pictures of them.

Let me know if I screwed anything up. :)


Thanks Mark, We appreciate the work that you do!



_________________
Only after Winter comes do we know that the pine and the cypress are the last to fade.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hinoki cutting boards
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:51 pm 

Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:10 pm
Posts: 181
In the better to ask than to be sorry category, do Hinoki boards require any special care? Or just standard cutting board care?


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 Page 4 of 7 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


suspicion-preferred