It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:15 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Highest grit & amount of stones for carbon knives?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:04 pm 
Forum Moderator

Well let's split this up a bit. For your stainless Euro knives much more than 2k is pushing it. You could use a 5k on it for touchups as a strop.

For your Euro carbon knives, I'd suggest taking them to 5k as well.

For your Japanese carbon steel knives, such as your Aogami super steels, you can go much higher. They are made to use natural stones especially. You might want to just use an Aoto stone, or go higher to a polishing stone. This will produce a spectacular edge, which is probably why you wanted to buy those knives in the first place. It will also benefit from stropping.

Stropping with a coarser compound will give you excellent maintenance edges. Even a 4 micron CBN compound will give you a finer finish than many of the stones suggested.

You CAN use your coticule, even though it is small for the finishing stone. This takes some practice but is a worthwhile skill. You do need to use an intermediate stone between it and a 1k stone however.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:34 pm 

Took me a while to finally answer again... given that I really like the coticule (except for its size), I decided on the following approach:

- Get a European natural stone and a strop now. Most likely a roszutec (5-6k sandstone from Slovakia)
- order a intermediate stone (2k range) along with the gyuto I want to buy from ctkg somwhere in fall/early winter

Reason for that approach: Given the high shipping costs from US to GER it isn't really sensible to order twice from cktg and right now I sorely lack the money for a big order.

Again: thanks for all the kind replies

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:30 pm 
Forum Moderator

" Most likely a roszutec (5-6k sandstone from Slovakia)"

Do you have a picture of one of these?

I'm not familiar with it and always want to learn about more types of stones. I'm familiar with Escher stones from Germany if that helps as a comparison.

I just got done shipping a bunch of stuff to Germany. You guys really have a lot of paperwork and customs to deal with.

Best of luck!

---
Ken

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:14 pm 

Sure, no problem....the most common sizes sold here in Europe are:

200x80x45mm (or roughly 7.9x3.2x1.8 inches) http://www.mehr-als-werkzeug.de/medias/ ... P_WE_8.jpg and 150x50x20mm (or about 5.9x2x0.8 inches) http://www.objectsofuse.com/image/cache ... 00x600.jpg

According to a German knife sharpening enthusiast, the grit is similar to a blue Belgian coticule. Gives you a nice edge, but it's a bit more irregular than the coticule. At least his example had some coarser particles that slightly scratched up the polished edge.

But esp. at that smaller 5.9x2 size it is way more cheaper than a blue, not to mention a "real" yellow coticule. Googled some vendors and here in Germany the price progression looks like this:

~19 Dollar for a 5.9x2" Rozustec
~47 Dollar for a blue coticule of that size
~130 Dollar for yellow coticule of that size

There's also a (danish?) guy, who ran some razors over a bunch of natural stones and shot both short videos and microscopic pictures of the scratch patterns those stones made. That one incl. a rozsutec too: http://japanesenaturalstones.blogspot.d ... -test.html

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:14 am 
Forum Moderator

Thank you for the links. Much appreciated.

---
Ken

Page 2 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2