It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:47 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 4 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Here Comes Another Newbie.. ready to Spend !
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:20 pm 

yep I knew I stated no carbon but I saw the Hiromoto was clad with just the edge exposed so I wasn't to worried.

Al that being said.. it seems everywhere I turn, its coming town to the Masa and the TKC. So far its a dead tie... Funny, I was flipping through a popular mechanics waiting for a hair cut and thee was an article about the most important knife to own for various things... they had the Masa VG Gyuto as their pick for the chef.... of all places to see this!

My only crutch then right now.. is if I want to have an unmatched set which I would have to do if I go the TKC route since all they make is the Gyuto and not the Santoku/petty
hmmm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:24 pm 
Forum Moderator

Don't worry about a matched set. IMO it's a lot more interesting to get knives from different makers, with different steels, aesthetics, etc. You'll gain more exposure and knowledge of different characteristics as well.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:35 pm 

I was just thinking that....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:45 pm 

SteveG wrote:Don't worry about a matched set. IMO it's a lot more interesting to get knives from different makers, with different steels, aesthetics, etc. You'll gain more exposure and knowledge of different characteristics as well.

+1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:12 am 

One of my favorite things about J knives is experiencing the different qualities of different metals while using and sharpening knives. Cutting an onion becomes an analysis over how the knife is performing and what I could to make it better. Very cool.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:05 am 

I you want a knife that cuts like a laser the TKC is the best choice. The Hiromoto is the better choice if you want a heavier workhorse. Both are quality choices.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:15 am 

Jeff B wrote:I you want a knife that cuts like a laser the TKC is the best choice. The Hiromoto is the better choice if you want a heavier workhorse. Both are quality choices.

I use my TKC as a "workhorse" it should be labeled "The Laserhorse"

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:18 am 

heres a thought, tkc for the 240 gyuto, hiromoto for a 190 santuko, and masamotto for a vg10 petty, all will look like they belong, but will be slightly different and you got to try 3 different steal types. cant go wrong!

Post subject: Re: Here Comes Another Newbie.. ready to Spend ARGH
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:49 am 

well I had decided on the TKC for Gyuto...but after watching the videos with my wife, she said any knife that would discolor due to the metal (the carbon)..she does not want. bummer for me..and im the cook ! So I guess its strictly SS.

SO Unless there is a comparable (quality/price/fit finish) StainlessSteel 240 to the masamoto VG (which im sure there are).. the Masa's going to be the Gyuto. Id like at least one more to direct compare...

Im in no rush..so still welcome feedback.. thanks all !

Post subject: Re: Here Comes Another Newbie.. ready to Spend ARGH
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:55 am 

Fergie wrote:well I had decided on the TKC for Gyuto...but after watching the videos with my wife, she said any knife that would discolor due to the metal (the carbon)..she does not want. bummer for me..and im the cook ! So I guess its strictly SS.

SO Unless there is a comparable (quality/price/fit finish) StainlessSteel 240 to the masamoto VG (which im sure there are).. the Masa's going to be the Gyuto. Id like at least one more to direct compare...

Im in no rush..so still welcome feedback.. thanks all !

If you didn't tell her the TKC wasn't stainless, I don't think she would know. Haha, I jest.

I don't think the Masamoto will really let you down. I can't really think of anything else in 240 off the top of my head that wouldn't be Powdered Metallurgy at upper prices is Richmond stainless options. The HAP40 knives are due in, price point as yet unknown to me. Takamura makes a great stainless R-2 but it is 210, not 240. The Tanaka R-2 is significantly more.

Page 2 of 4 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next