It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:16 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Henckels - Twin Cermax
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:27 am 

Hi folks, I got my hands on a 9 inch Twin Cermax chef knife to sharpen a few days ago.
I have seen these before and remember vividly how hard they are, HRC is 66 and most of the ones I have worked on were chipped.
(I remember the first time I ever did one was with the EP Pro and stock stones and it took about 4 years to raise a burr).

This particular knife was in beautiful shape, just a little dull but my stone collection has grown so I looked forward to the challenge of that ridiculously hard steel. The 500 Shapton Glass stone worked nicely and raised the burr surprisingly very quickly. I followed up with a 1k, 5k Chosera and finished with an 8K Imanishi.
I envy the owner of the knife, it is without doubt one of the sharpest knives I've ever held in my hands. I think they went over the top in terms of hardness, but it's a beautiful knife to work with in the kitchen.

Peter

Post subject: Re: Henckels - Twin Cermax
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:34 pm 
Forum Moderator

Very cool, I always wanted to check one of those out! If I'm not mistaken the steel should be ZDP-189, as they market that steel under the MC66 name in other blades as well. :)

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:43 pm 

I believe you are absolutely correct.
These knives are made in Japan, not Solingen and as soon as you start the sharpening process you can feel and hear the difference as the steel slides over the stone. I am going to get myself one for sure, they have a nice handle as well.
Pete

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:23 pm 
Forum Moderator

If I'm not mistaken they stopped making the Twin Cermax a few years ago, but I could be totally wrong. Matter of fact, I need to do some research in finding out which knives still use MC66 that Henckels produces. Some people were complaining about chipping and whatnot years ago...... I just tend to call those people "uneducated."

By the chance that they are not in production anymore, there's always the loving Ebay. ;)

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:46 pm 
Forum Moderator

A quick web search found some of these available on Amazon, BB&B, etc. in varying models.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:35 am 

I think the Miyabi 7000 & 5000 MCD and the Miyabi 600 MCD uses this material (it's always the "MCD" line). The Twin Cermax is the last one with "western style". The Cermax is still offered on their webshop and some people offer them on ebay - no problem ;-) I'm also about to buy 200 mm Cermax for me, looks great and some people in internet discussions call them one of the best knifes ever!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:08 am 

Hi, well now that I had an opportunity to use the Twin Cermax after sharpening it, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase one. Now for the same price I could buy some pretty nifty carbon knives from Mark but the Cermax is nice. I don't know knives like Jason, Shaun or Melampus but I am sure that they would all agree.
I put it to the test on both veggies and protein, it was impressive.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:22 am 

Here in Europe it's in often sold for just $270 (200 Euro), I think this is quite reasonable price for such a good knife...
Before I will buy one, I will try it in locale Zwilling Store, hope everything will be OK, especially with different shape of it's handle! The Miyabi 600 MCD line is IMHO a good alternative for the case of any "incompatibility" with my hand :-)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:27 pm 

Generaly: how can I edit my last post?

Sailor:
The handle of the Cermax knife is completely rounded - right? Isn't it sometimes TOO slippy? I have now the Twin Profection cook knife and the handle seems to be not so much rounded as the Cermax. I'd like to replace my Twin Profection line by Cermax because the steel seems to be too soft - needs to be sharpened too often.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:47 pm 

maca02 wrote:Generaly: how can I edit my last post?

Go to user "control panel"
then "board preferences"
set "language" to "British English".
Post do become permanent after a set period.

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next