It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:11 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Help piecing together a set
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:13 pm 

Care for most carbons is not terribly demanding, be they clad or not, but you don't want to miss wipes. Two cloths by the cutting board, one wet and one dry, used in that order whenever you cut. On a busy line that's sometimes demanding to maintain. It takes getting into a rhythm I've personally never been able to truly master.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:24 pm 

Icculus you don't want that particular masakage knife. It's going to be reactive more than you'd like on the line. The Kohetsu is semi reactive. The knife is clad in stainless and the Aogami super does rust and patina but only the edge. It's not bad I use one for work and it works well.

If you do get a masakage get the stainless clad Yuki, only the edges of stainless clad knives are reactive. It's the best of both worlds good carbon and stainless protection.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:12 pm 

Umberto wrote:Icculus you don't want that particular masakage knife. It's going to be reactive more than you'd like on the line. The Kohetsu is semi reactive. The knife is clad in stainless and the Aogami super does rust and patina but only the edge. It's not bad I use one for work and it works well.

If you do get a masakage get the stainless clad Yuki, only the edges of stainless clad knives are reactive. It's the best of both worlds good carbon and stainless protection.

I like that one, I also like this
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/mayubu17.html
but it's out of stock...

are there any other producers with that same style of the curved choil ?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:14 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yes, the Anryu series are made by of of the Masakage blacksmiths and share that same choil/neck design. It's very comfy for a pinch grip. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kaan.html

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:35 pm 

Can someone verify that the Mizu are not stainless clad. If the Mizu are stainless clad, they will be no more reactive than the Kohetsu or Masakage Yuki.

I cannot vouch for the Mizu specifically except to say that it is listed as being made by Anryu and I have his Hammered 240mm gyuto. The Anryu is an awesome knife. Lots of character, killer steel (I love aogami #2), stainless clad so very easy maintenance, all round great knife.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:06 pm 

I don't have experience with the Mizu but I believe it to be carbon clad - kurouchi finish that is lacquered. See the review in the listing by MrKnifeFanatic: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/mamigy21.html

I also have an Anryu Hammered, the 210 gyuto. +1 on cedarhouse's comments. My favorite knife so far. I also have the Yuki 240 gyuto and like that a lot. It's just a bit longer than I'm used to though.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:12 pm 

I have a mizu. Not stainless clad - blue carbon steel with kuruochi finish. Then lacquer over that. As far as kuruochi finishes go, it is the most durable I have come across. The lacquer definitely helps.

All in all, it is a pretty lenient carbon knife. You have a bit of time to clean and dry. More than 30 seconds. Less than 30 minutes. It is gonna get a bit of discoloration - but will take a bit and it isn't much.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:43 pm 
Site Admin

I encourage you to try the Yuki which was recommended a couple times.

I also like the Kohetsu 270 gyuto for you: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/koaosu27gy.html

You might want to get one for the 270 and the other for the 210 so you can try them both.

The idahone ceramic rod will work well for all your knives and it's cheap.

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:29 am 

Thanks again guys, I've learned a lot on these forums, all of which gave me confidence in what I'm buying.

So I made my choices.

Tojiro 150mm Gokujo boning knife
Tojiro 270mm bread knife
Tojiro 90mm paring knife
Masakage Yuki Gyuto 270mm
12" Idahone

and down the line if it comes back in stock ( will it ? ) I like the looks of the Masakage Yuki Bunka 170mm and I'll probably pick up something reactive to play around with that.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:47 am 

Nice set. I think you'll really enjoy the Yuki. I've learned a lot on the forum too. Helped me to pick my Yuki 240. It's a great knife, sharp out of the box, lots of character - it was a "wow" knife for me. .

Page 2 of 3 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next