It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:36 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Help me select a western carbon steel knife.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:27 pm 
Site Admin

Mark,
I hope you can lend me some of your expertise. I have been reviewing knife forums until my eyes are bloodshot and if fear I have reached information overload. Since you sell all the brands I am considering I would value your opinion. First of all I guess I would consider myself slightly more than a novice at home chef and am ready to purchase a couple Japanese knives that I plan to have for the long term and grow into if necessary.. Ease of sharpening and edge retention would be my main goals. Keeping them clean would not be a chore for me. That being said I have tentatively settled on a carbon 240 for my Chefs knife. It seems to have come down to the Hiromoto Gyuto 240, Masamoto HC Carbon, Misono Swedish and maybe the slightly cheaper Tojiro DP. I would appreciate you thoughts and suggestions on these or any other knives I may have overlooked that may fit my skill level. If I am totally of base please feel free to steer me in another direction.

Thanks in advance,

Dennis

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Help me select a western carbon steel knife.
Site Admin

Hi Dennis,

Are you right handed?
Do you know how to sharpen?
Do you like to rock the knife or push cut primarily?
Do you want to get a western handled knife or Japanese handle?
How much did you want to spend?

Do you mind if I post your question on our forum?
Kind Regards,
Mark Richmond
www.chefKnivesToGo.com

Chefknivestogo Blog

Site Admin

Rick, Thanks for you quick reply.
1.Right handed.
2.Will probably have it sharpened to begin with but I am starting to look at wet stones and would like to learn.
3.Good question and I am not sure. I would probably guess 70/30 push.
4.Western
5.Somewhere in the $150 to $200 range give or take. I want a knife that is good now as well as one that gives me some room to grow as my skills hopefully improve.
Feel free to post.

Thanks,
Dennis

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:32 pm 
Site Admin

I highly encourage you to learn to sharpen. It takes 10 minutes to learn the basics and you will never have dull knives again.

I should really do a "learn to sharpen a knife in 10 minutes" video. A quick, do this, this this and your done type video to get people over the fear factor of learning to sharpen.

Try the Misono Swedish. I like it and it's got a cool engraving on it.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/misono4.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:34 pm 
Forum Moderator

First, the Tojiro is not a "carbon" steel core in so much as it's a stainless steel. All steel has carbon in it though, allowing some manufacturers to elude to certain things. :)

Of the three you listed, the Hiromoto AS is likely my favorite. But, the Misono Swedish is really nice too. The Hiromoto will have better edge retention, the Misono slightly easier to sharpen IMHO.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:49 pm 
Forum Moderator

I got a Kikuichi Elite carbon 24mm gyuto as my first Japanese knife, still have it! The handle F&F was pretty poor (mine is around 8 years old or so?), but sandpaper and about 10-15 minutes of work took care of the F&F issues. It takes a wicked edge, too!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:44 pm 

My only experience with the knives listed above is with the Hiromoto AS (Santoku 190mm). It was my first piece of japanese steel about two years ago and it's probably still my favorite edge in my drawer. When I purchased the knife, I had no idea about how to sharpen it, all I knew was it was a 70/30 grind which to me meant that I couldn't run it through my usual sharpening tools. I did spend about $30 and send it to someone on one of the boards to sharpen it up for me and when it came back it opened my eyes to what a really sharp edge could do. I recently ran the knife through a full progression of stones up through 10k on my edge pro and you should have seen the smile on my face when I was finished. What an edge. Once sharp it will hold an edge for quite some time, but if you are going to make an investment in the knife and see more in your future pick up a few stones to keep it nice and sharp. I was happy that I paid someone the $30 or so to put a great edge on it right from the beginning so I knew what all the fuss was and could see the value in my investment. I'll be interested in hearing how it ultimately works out for you.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:12 pm 

My first knife was a Fujiwara Carbon Sujihiki 240mm and since then I have purchased "upgraded knives". The reason I mention it is because this knife has pretty good steel, a western handle, and needs some improvements. I have forced a couple of different patinas on this knife as well as rounded the spine and the backside of the blade.

Over the weekend I just polished it, added a primary bevel (it is pretty much a single bevel flat grind knife), and created a concave edge. The point is that at only $77 on Marks site today, I can get a sick sharp edge but still experiment without "endangering" my other knives.

Do yourself a favor and go with an entry knife and use the extra money to invest in some stones. Learn how to sharpen and when you wife thinks you have gone crazy, ask for a nicer one on your birthday . . .

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:12 pm 

Correction Fujiwara Carbon Gyuto 240mm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:23 pm 

Ok I'm going into the deep end. After much good advice I have made my decision...ok almost! I'm going with the Misono Swedish Gyuto 240mm, Tojiro 270mm ITK Bread Knife and the only one I am not totally sure of is the Hiromoto 150mm petty. I would be appreciative of any input on the petty.

Thanks,

Dennis

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next