It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:57 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Help me pick out my new Petty knife
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:03 am 

Hey guys,

Again great site, inventory and forum for chefs, foodies and junkies alike! I'm in the market for a new petty. My current gamer is a Tojiro DP that I use on a daily basis for everything, but I intend to keep around for small butchering. I want to pick up an additional petty (150mm/Wa-handled) to replace the Tojiro as a daily prep/line knife. I'm looking for a bit more of a belly on the blade so I can do a bit more chopping of certain items (herbs, shallots, garlic, etc).
The ones I am looking at are:
1) http://www.chefknivestogo.com/fujiwara4.html

2) http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tadape15.html

3) http://www.chefknivestogo.com/yoya15pe.html

Thanks for any info and input guys! Looking forward to hearing from you.

Kyle

Post subject: Re: Help me pick out my new Petty knife
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:45 am 
Forum Moderator

I have the Tanaka. It is pretty thin and flexible, takes a wicked edge. The Tanaka Ginsan is a bit more robust and thicker and heavier. The Fujiwara should be a bit thicker than the Tanaka Sekiso and probably similar to the Tanaka Sekiso.

Another option would be the Yamashin Funayuki when they come back in stock. Plenty of height for board work, but a nice tip and belly for fine work and chopping.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:41 am 
Forum Moderator

+1 on the Tanaka Damascus 150mm. It's got good height at around 34mm at the heel and a really nice grind. Melampus really likes the tip shape on this knife versus some others for doing detail work.

His quote: "Even knives like the Tanaka Sekiso & the Masakages that are close in height with each other, I'd take the Sekiso 10 out of 10 times due to the entire profile. If you study them, you'll see the Tanaka tapers its height as it moves forward toward the tip, whereas the Masakages carry their height further forward. They are by no means Santokus, but they carry their height in a similar fashion. The Tanakas have that perfect (for me) blend of height at the heel w/shorter & thin tips that allow precise tip work with broader capability at their heels. In my minds abstract, I see a parallel in sharpening a Deba more obtusely at the heel with a more acute tip 2/3. I'm not comparing sharpness; rather recognizing strengths amid the edge length."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:16 pm 
Forum Moderator

Have you thought about getting a 180mm gyuto if your primary reason is to chop on a board?

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:16 pm 

Thanks for the info guys.

Adam- I just picked up a Hiromoto AS 210 so I can't really justify having a 180 in the bag as well. I kind of want the new petty to be a bit of a hybrid and all around versatile blade. Just want a bit more belly on the knife than my current Tojiro DP.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:27 am 

okay I just came across these:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kagipe15.html

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/mayupe15.html

I am liking the looks of the Tanaka Damascus, but am not too keen on the D-shaped handle.

Any thoughts? I'm gonna pull the trigger by this weekend. Then hopefully I'll stop buying so many knives! (for now...)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:16 am 
Forum Moderator

KK <> The Terayasu & Yauji's are too short to apply specifically to chopping/mincing duties... IMO.

The Tanaka/Masakage are the most appropriate for what you describe due to possessing the tallest heels. The clad Masakage is going to be more capable of taking a punch on the line if you keep that Hrc62 Shironiko at respectable angles while the softer Aoniko Tanaka is really tough, it is also thin; six one-way - half a dozen the other. Obviously, both require respect, but there are eccentricities amid them. Personally, I love D's... love.

If you want a fully stainless knife, the KanehiroG3 is my ultimate 150 petty, thus far. It is stainless-clad Ginsanko that is durable, takes a sick edge that holds well, clean grind, and has the most appropriate sized handle in relation to blade that I have ever held.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:59 am 

Thanks for the input Melampus. So even though the Masakage has white #2 in the core and the Tanaka is blue steel, the edge retention on the Masakage holds better?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:07 am 

hey khent which petty did you end up getting i'm in the same boat except i'm also considering the richmond laser petty's when they come in stock

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:31 am 
Forum Moderator

KK <> I'm assuming this question is predicated upon my "take a punch" quip.

What I meant by way of metaphor is - softer steel is more durable; durable translating into more malleable, less likely to chip. Think of denting as opposed to chipping. Hard steel is more apt to chip on various impacts whereas softer steel is more apt to bend. Furthermore, Aoniko, all things equal, is a more durable alloy (read earlier synonym though predicated upon a different paradigm) as to Shironiko. In the abstract, the Shironiko will take a better edge due to higher Carbon content while the Aoniko will resist deformation longer because at the elemental level, Aoniko & Shironiko are the same, but Aoniko has Chromium & Tungsten added to increase wear resistance.

That said, all things aren't equal. These knives are forged & heat treated by different smiths. You have a stainless-clad Shironiko @Hrc62 which means the soft steel jigane is protecting, by way of dampening, the hard Shironiko hagane. This hard, potentially brittle, edge can be sharpened to a very durable state by way of modest edge bevel angle which effectively thickens up the edge or by finishing your acute edge bevel w/a microbevel. It is one of those things were you have to compromise. You want a crazy acute edge you sacrifice integrity as a thin brittle edge will chip. If you're going to dedicate it to walking herbs & other mincing/chopping duties, you have no need for 11 degree bevels anyhow.

Then you have a Aoniko @Hrc60. So you have a steel that is inherently durable compounded by a respectively softer heat-treat. It has the inherent ability to "take a punch"... take more abuse w/o chipping.

I have used plenty of Shironiko, but not Masakage. I can't tell you which will have better edge retention. I can tell you I don't believe it's going to be a dramatic difference. The Masakage has high Hrc going for it in the edge retention arena, the Tanaka has a typically more wear resistant steel... it does give up some needed Hrc in this context though. Again, we're splitting hairs...

I suggest buying off of preferred feel. If you want a lighter livelier knife, get the Sekiso. If you want a more robust knife, get the Yuki.

Page 1 of 3 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next