It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:54 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Help me find the perfect wa-gyuto.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:01 am 
Site Admin

Hey Mark and Susan,

I have been researching your site and forum extensively in an attempt to choose the perfect Wa-gyuto for myself. First of all, I am floored by the way you do business. Anyone in retail could and should learn a lot from businesses like yours. Thanks for your hard work.

I really like knives, and am really just getting started bringing that enthusiasm into kitchen knives. I cook at home and not a ton (knife would be used 2-3 hours per week). I just want a good looking knife made of great steel that has excellent edge retention, but that I would be able to sharpen myself as a beginner with water stones (I'll be buying shapton 1000/4000 kit from your site).

I am right-handed, want stainless or semi-stainless for this first knife, and again will only be using this knife lightly in the home kitchen. I would like to keep this under 350 (this can be stretched for good reason) so my wife doesn't think I'm too crazy. I think 210mm would be the length I would want. I have been using an 8" shun premiere and want something that looks more Japanese hand made. Here are the knives I have been considering:

Konosuke HD2 (I think this is out of stock in 210mm)
Suisin Inox Honyaki
Your Richmond Laser
Takayuki Grand chef
Sakai Takayuki Ginsan (I only see this in 240mm, stretching budget here)
Konosuke silver 3 (could you get this with wa handle in 210mm?)
Any other suggestions you have

Which steel in the above knives do you think has best properties of edge retention and sharpen-ability (AEB-L, silver 3, suisin inbox, mono hd2)?

Sorry for the long email, feel free to post this if you want. I was the one that asked about the konosuke silver 3 in 210mm under the moniker Chef, DDS. I think I would want this with wa-handle if you could get it and would suggest this over the others.

Thank you very much!

Eric

Richmond Laser

Post subject: Re: Help me find the perfect wa-gyuto.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:07 am 
Site Admin

Hi Eric,

Try my damascus knife. It's beautiful, stainles, hard with a nice handle and it's in your price range. Yoshikane made this knife for me and it came out great. You have other good knives listed.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/rida21gy.html

Richmond Laser

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:42 pm 

That is a great looking knife Mark. I really like the Damascus pattern on it. How does the ATS314 steel compare to AEB-L or silver 3? Also, do you know the weight? I appreciate the personalized recommendation.

Anything else you think I should pick up along with shapton 1k/4k set, waterstone holder, and idahone ceramic rod?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:37 pm 
Forum Moderator

I'd reckon that ATS314 is a mis-print and should be ATS34.

If so ATS34 is a cutlery steel that's been around a long time.

How it would compare to AEB-L....how fine of a hair are we going to split? :)

It is the Japanese clone of 154CM....so it's a good steel. It's not going to take as fine of an edge as AEB-L, but a very similar edge to Silver3 (Ginsanko). ATS34 would probably be pretty similar to Ginsanko really....although I've never tested the two side by side.

You mention edge retention and ease of sharpening....ATS34 should be good at both.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:31 pm 

Thanks a lot Adam! If it were up to you, Richmond Damascus or Sakai Takayuki Damascus with the AEB-L. This is just the start of the knife collection, I definitely want to try Aogami Super soon too!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:47 pm 
Forum Moderator

I don't ever recall getting to see or use the Sakai Damascus knives so I can't say.

The Richmond damascus knives are nice though....I have used one of them.

I don't know....sorry. :o I have a huge love for AEB-L, but it's hard for me to recommend a knife I don't remember using.

Flip a coin....and CKTG has a good return policy. :)

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:44 am 
Forum Moderator

Actually ATS 314 is a type of steel used in high-end scissors.... geez doesn't anyone use Google anymore? :D (kidding)

ATS 34 is supposed to be more like 154CM if I remember correctly (I should use Google, huh?) But I don't think the Richmond Damascus really reminded me of 154CM, seemed like finer grain and easier to sharper IMO. Now, it's been a few weeks since I've handled one, but that was my impression. There is the possibility that the Damascus sharpened fast due to a thin edge, so this is mere speculation I suppose.

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:18 am 

Hey Shaun, yeah I actually did use google. My reason for throwing the question out here was that I couldn't find anything where ATS 314 was used in knives, only scissors! This is why I was wondering if anyone here knew about its sharpening abilities and performance. Thanks for the reply, I find your opinion very valuable!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:16 am 
Forum Moderator

It's good steel in the damascus, I loved testing that knife, really good looking and perform just as good.. if you like the knife you can be confident that you are making a good purchase. The Damascus's performance alone is enough to justify the purchase, let alone the work that goes into folding the steel that many times and having a great F&F. Yeah... I liked them a little bit you could say! :D

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]