It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:43 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Help me choose a 150 mm petty!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:14 am 

I am considering a gift to my wife. She is used to stainless steel and not carrying for knives. I want to give her something good but..it must be almost worry free.
My main choices are: Tanaka Damaskus Petty made out of Blue #2, OR Takamura Migaki R2.
I have also considered Tojiro DP, so that she can bang the crap out of it…but I can afford something nicer, and would prefer something …more.

Which one would you choose?
Please offer your advice if there is an outstanding petty under 150$, that I am not considering.

PS
When will HAP 40 western handles be inn?

Post subject: Re: Help me choose a 150 mm petty!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:06 am 

The konosuke hd2 is semi reactive, or the konosuke HH is stainless. Either would good choices as well, but I see they are both currently out of stock. They are excellent knives. You would really like the fit and finish.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:28 pm 

valera666 wrote:PS
When will HAP 40 western handles be inn?

At last update I believe it was said that they were still several months out.

The Goko petty is a great knife at a good price. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/gokopetty150mm.html

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:17 pm 

To Jeff,

Goko is white #1 and is very reactive. My wife will freak out when she sees patina or rust on the knife. That is why I am considering powdered stainless steel or Blue #2 which is less reactive.
Have not used either knife and need some advice from others.

Konosuke are lasers and are prone to chipping if used on frozen food or, something hard.
I wanted something more of the workhorse. Something that is more forgiving yet stays sharp.

Does anyone have any experience with R-2 knife?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:30 pm 

I have no experience with R-2, sorry.
The Goko is white #1 but is in a stainless clad.

If your not set on a wa-handle maybe you the Hiromoto AS will suit your needs, but another stainless clad. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/hiromoto.html

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:15 pm 

Something to look at which seems to be a brand professionals like is a Misono UX 10 series petty: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/mipakn15.html

It is full stainless and is made with "Swedish steel". I don't know which one but from my experience the Swedes do seem to know their steels. lol I am pretty sure it is not a powder steel though and I don't know how fine the grain is but they are popular knives nonetheless.

The main thing I can see is that it is hardened to 59-60, so it should be pretty resilient given what I have seen of Swedish steels. I wouldn't put any knife through solid frozen foods of course, but I don't see semi-frozen (i.e. slushy stage) or harder foods as being an issue.

Another knife at a better price which is fully stainless and uses AEB-L (which is a pretty fine grained steel made for razors, but not a powdered tool steel) is the Richmond Artifex 150mm petty : http://www.chefknivestogo.com/riar15pe.html

I like that it has a western handle with a bolsterless design so it should be fairly light in hand, similar to a wa handle (I'm loving my lighter wa handled knives), but it has a more familiar shape with the western handle. It was purpose built for professional use. Nothing fancy, just very good steel and should be a pretty tough knife that takes a good edge. Again I don't think I would have any issue using it on semi-frozen or harder foods.

The Tojiro DP would also be a good knife, but I don't know that I would use it on semi-frozen foods though given VG10's reputation for being a little chippy. You hit a small ice crystal with a very cold blade and you could end up with a chip. I don't think it would be an issue with harder foods like winter squashes though, plus it can take a pretty mean edge.

While I have not had experience with Goko's implementation of white #1 (I want to badly! lol), I have not had any issues with my white #1 knives being super reactive. They will patina (and have) as all carbon steels will and need the same care as other carbon steels, but they are not leaving dark spots in my cuts which is very important to me. They also did not patina immediately after the first use. It took a little while and several uses before it started and I even cleaned the protective varnish off the edge of the blade. That being said, I have read about other white #1 knives being pretty reactive (Tojiro ITK comes to mind) but all makers and their implementations of the same steel are different as are individual users opinions about reactivity. With Goko being stainless clad the only part to worry about is the edge, but that might still bother your wife. The same could be said about any of the carbon steels though, regardless of cladding.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:10 pm 

You may consider the Hiromoto Ginsanko3, excellent, finely grained stainless. For a better Fit&Finish, the Misono 440.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:58 pm 

valera666 wrote:Goko is white #1 and is very reactive. My wife will freak out when she sees patina or rust on the knife. That is why I am considering powdered stainless steel or Blue #2 which is less reactive.
Have not used either knife and need some advice from others.

Konosuke are lasers and are prone to chipping if used on frozen food or, something hard.
I wanted something more of the workhorse. Something that is more forgiving yet stays sharp.

If you don't want something reactive, I wouldn't go with Blue (any type) either. Best to stick with a stainless or semi-stainless.

If you're getting a Japanese type knife hardened about 60, it shouldn't be used on frozen food or anything hard. Yes, a non-laser would hold up better, but it's still risky.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:52 pm 
Forum Moderator

666 <> You consistently exhibit an interesting way of structuring questions whereas they're based on a contradictory premise. :?

An Ikon <--link is about the only knife I can think of that fits your parameters.

Furthermore, I have no idea what makes you think a TojiroDP can have the crap banged out of it; assuming of course your ambiguity was, in fact, implying the DP is capable of having the crap banged out of it w/o assuming any irreparable damage.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:39 pm 
Forum Moderator

Agreed Melampus - there are really any "worry free" knives that won't sustain damage of some sort with abuse beyond what a particular knife will tolerate. I suppose one "exception" might be a super cheap garage sale/thrift store/grocery store/free models that you don't mind just throwing out if they become unusable.

A modicum of proper use and treatment is required on any knife if you want to keep some kind of decent cutting edge on it. I'm gradually getting my wife to understand this concept - she's learning :-).

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next