It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:42 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Help me choose a 150 mm petty!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:00 pm 

Thank You Mel.
Being profiled ...for exhibiting the contradictory premise sentence structure, is not exactly what I was looking for though….
More to the point what I was looking for were the suggestions like:
If you want to get a Japanese!!! knife for your wife….
Kanehiro Ginsan is great but you might save some dollars by going with Takeda Ginsan wa petty…..
OR Go with Misono 440 instead of UX10
OR ??? something different perhaps?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:08 pm 
Forum Moderator

666 <> Paraphrasing, but "a good Japanese 150 petty that can have the crap banged out of it and must be almost worry free." = OXYMORON

The Japanese don't make knives to be abused; they make knives that need be respected. With all due respect, you have clearly stated that your wife does not respect cutlery. It's pretty clear she will damage any 150 Japanese petty she handles... so what's the difference which knife.. pick your poison.

With that said, I think your best chance is this R2 Kamo<--link. Statistically, it couldn't be more innappropriate @Hrc63, but I've used the Gyuto & the thing is truly a tank. If the petty has as robust a grind as the Gyuto, which I suspect it does, it could be a pretty sturdy prospect.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:34 pm 

I have never said that she will intentionally abuse the knives. At the same time she is not used to chipping, patina, or bent ends.
I would like to get her a knife that also slices well, so that she will not have to run and grab my Konosuke HD, and something that I can borrow :)
My top choices at this point are:
Takamura R2
Kamo R2
Kanehiro Ginsan
Tanaka Ginsan

Takamura or Kanehiro would be my personal best choice for me, but which one would you give to your wife out of the four knives????

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:42 pm 

Full disclosure, I do not own any of these...but:

Although it is out of stock, I would do the Kamo. R2 should be pretty durable, the price is good, and the knife is a knock out. Second place is tough, I suppose the Takamura, but I don't much care for yo-handled knives, so I guess the Kanehiro. And am I just overlooking it, but is there a Tanaka Ginsan?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:42 pm 

...just my $0.02 by the way.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:07 pm 
Forum Moderator

666 <> I own and use the Kanehiro. I LOVE HER! Very small diameter Wa which is perfectly appropriate for the 150 length & might also be really nice for your wife, BUT it's not so thick behind the edge & I fear the abuse you imply she will extend will be just too much.

The Takamura... never used her nor seen the grind. And as mentioned, I'm not much of a Yo guy.

The Tanaka Ginsan... as far as I know, this 150 petty we're talking about is not available through CKTG, and I have not used nor seen one.

The Kamo... I've used the 240 Gyuto quite a bit, and its a beast. VERY durable blade due to a very robust grind. If the Petty shares a similar grind, which I suspect she does, as I stated prior... that's my recommendation.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:52 pm 

For worry-free for someone who may not be inclined to give a J-knife the highest level of care, I think stainless would be best.

My first thought is that a German knife would work well in this context.

If you're set on a J-knife, I'd go Fujiwara, Tojiro DP, or Richmond Artifex.

I know it's a competing site, but Korin also offers some J-knives that are around 58 or 59 hardness, which also could work.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:30 pm 
Forum Moderator

Here are couple of options, which Mark does not carry:

Victorinox Forschner Rosewood 6" Chef knife.

Victorinox Forschner Swiss Classic 6" Chef knife.

These have almost a tall petty profile and will take more abuse than most JKnives. They're pretty good performers as well - and they'll get plenty sharp.

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2