It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:03 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Headed to Prison
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:22 am 

I was contacted by a local "establishment" to sharpen 50 plus knives and tomorrow I get to do that. They are all the same brand, Grohmann which is brand made here in Nova Scotia, the steel is the same as Henckels.

The tricky part is that each knife is tethered with 3 food cord and also, they have not been sharpened in at least 2 years.

My plan is to use a DMT extra coarse plate to get them started, repair chips. I have an Atoma 140 but I don't want to wear that down on these knives. Then jump to a 1k and finish on a 2k. I am considering picking up a King 1200 and throwing that into the line up to save wear on my other stones.

I will let you know how it goes, I'm looking forward to it.

It will good to get back and see some of my ol pals :)

Post subject: Re: Headed to Prison
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:34 am 

Good luck! What is the optimum finish on a shank anyways? I'd guess somewhere around the grit of the cell floor/walls :lol:

Chris

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:54 pm 

could always start with cheap carborundum stones first.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:28 pm 

Yeah starting on the DMT XC will knock out the rough stuff in no time. If it were me I would go with something in the 320-500 range next then the King 1200. You really shouldn't have to go any higher except for some edge trailing strokes at 2K or higher.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:18 pm 
Site Admin

Tell them about our prison knives! I'm just about done with the first prototype. :)

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:59 pm 

Thanks Pete, that is actually where I am heading, the DMT XC, a 500 Shapton Glass and the 1200 finish on the new King I picked up. They don't want the knives to be razor sharp anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:19 am 

You're going to profile 50 extremely dull, low hardness, 1.4110 knives on stones?

You're nuckin futz. Use a power tool of some sort, at least for the first stage.

Finish has (or should have) nothing to do with sharpness. A 1200# edge can and should be just as sharp a 30K edge, just not as polished. On the other hand, a coarser finish is probably more chip prone and generally less durable.

A King 1200 is slow and dishes easily. Not a great choice for volume.

BDL

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:06 am 

LOL I figured about 10 hours using stones. I would agree with BDL if your doing all 50 in one session a belt grinder would cut your time down significantly.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:18 am 
Forum Moderator

Personally, I like the Boar's reply about using a power tool of some sort. Like something that rhymes with Felt Sander? :mrgreen:

I know the knives are chained down possibly, so an extension cord will help, assuming they won't provide you with one.

I'd go 60 or 80 grit ceramic belt, DMT XC or XXC, something in the 220-400 range, and then any slow dishing 1k of your choice.

If you're lucky enough to try some of the food, make sure to take pics for us in the "http://www.chefknivestogoforum.com/what-s-cookin-f12.html" section

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:09 pm 

Ok I'm done.

First of all, the belt sander idea was the first thing I thought of and I took it with me but was unable to use it. The set up was me moving to different rooms, each with a kitchen and a metal box with the knives tethered to cables with just enough room to use stones, I could have put the belt sander on the floor with an extension cord but the knives wouldnt reach, believe me, I tried it. I also had to move from room to room and had to lug everything around so the power tool thing didn't happen.

BDL first of all regarding the 1200 edge being able to be just as sharp as a 30K edge, yes I understand that, no argument from me, a poor choice of words on my part. Thanks

When I realized what I was up against, saw the edges, the King 1200 went back in the box, I used it once only. The DMT XC plate was the key, I would have still been there without it. I followed that up with a 500 Shapton Glass and then a 2k Shapton Glass. I had 44 knives, it took 4.5 hours of non stop work except for the moving from room to room. It is female only prison and they were there for the most part there in the room when i did the knives so needless to say I was out of my comfort zone. However, it really was quite interesting to hear the background chatter.

I toyed with the idea of a 1k finish with the Chosera but i just got into a rhythm, the splash and go SG stones worked very nicely.

(I thought of the belt sander in my car about 35 times during the day.)

Sorry Shaun, I didn't get to eat there.

A unique experience though, a lot of sad faces but they were extremely happy that I was there to sharpen the knives.

Page 1 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next