It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:39 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Haruyuki SRS15 PM 240MM Gyuto
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:52 pm 

Man, I have to say, the more knives I try, the more impressed I am with the Haruyuki. This thing is insanely thin behind the edge and the distal taper is continuous right to the tip which is absurdly thin as well. If anyone is in the market for a middle-weight knife that laughs at soft produce, retains an edge and is stainless, I would highly, highly, highly recommend this knife. I only wish more people on this forum have had the chance to try it. I really think it would surprise a lot of folks. The only drawbacks are that the knife isn't a feather weight and doesn't have a convex grind. Though that is really double-edged feature. I think the fact that it is a flat grind is what allows it to get so freakishly thin behind the edge and lightsaber onions the way it does.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:44 pm 

So, a couple of my 240s are currently with the good Mr. Johnson for new handles and, as a result, have been using the Haru quite a bit recently. Coming back to this knife reminds me just how tremendous it is. Last night it saw work on large Idaho potatoes, garlic, scallions, onions, jalapenos, beets and figs. Pretty diverse set of produce and it was an absolute machine with all of them.
First, I'm very impressed with this steel. It sharpens pretty easily and maintains that post-stone sharpness very, very well. Haven't need to even touch up the blade since its post-factory sharpening. It can take a very thin, refined edge. Really good stuff.
Second, I experienced no sticking whatsoever through the potatoes which was actually a pleasant surprise. Slid through like a laser and actually achieved pretty good separation. Pulled out a Kato in 210 to work side by side as a reference, and while the Kato forced the ingredients apart in a more exaggerated fashion, the Haru was the smoother cutter by a wide margin.
The pattern of the knife and edge profile make it a dream to work with from tip to heal. The speed and uniformity I was achieving while going through the ingredients in question was amazing. I could have simply been having a good day as it concerns my knife skills, but whatever the reason, the knife was effortless and provided a perfect vehicle through which I put thought into action.
Very much enjoyed coming back to this knife and reminded why it has a permanent place in my block. Really, really awesome knife.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:41 pm 

Well, since I enjoyed using the Haru so much while my other 240s (prior to buying the Kono) were getting spruced up, I decided to put it through a bunch of ingredients alongside a Shig, Kato and Kono Fuji W#1 Damascus. It really was just unfair. It's a great knife, but in this company, it's just no match. The Kono has officially supplanted it in my line-up as a middle-weight, laser-like performer as it is better through denser product as well. The Shig, despite my boorish edge treatment, is still an insane cutter through everything and the Kato in 240 is absolutely absurd. It's actually thinner at the tip and behind the edge than its 210 brother and just drops through ingredients with little effort.
The Haru will have it's place b/c it is stainless, so will certainly see use when I'm feeling a bit lazy or if I'm going to be distracted when cooking multiple dishes and prepping at the same time. That said, if it takes knives that cost 2-3x the Haru to put it in a supporting role, that's pretty damn impressive

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:55 pm 

I feel that way about my masamoto VG. Despite being the least capable of all of my remaining gyutos, it has its place, and it is far from being supplanted in the block!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:05 pm 

It's a great knife and the sole survivor from my initial purchases, though had I known better, the Shimo would still be in my block too.

Page 2 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2