It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:33 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: HAP-40 vs SRS-15 Steel
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:11 am 

1. right handed
2. looking for guyto or nakiri
3. 180-240mm
4. no real preference on steel, but looking for some rust resistance
5. no preference on handle type
6. budget approx $200
7. use apex pro for sharpening

Any information on how SRS-15 and HAP-40 steels compare for holding an edge, brittleness, sharpness? I have a petty made from SRS-15 and it holds a very sharp edge. Any information on the differences between these steels?

Post subject: Re: HAP-40 vs SRS-15 Steel
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:16 am 
Forum Moderator

BUCK <> The HAP40 is so new it's kinda hard to say, and as I've never even used a HAP40, I sure as hell can't say anything beyond the HAP40's edge retention is purported to be supernatural.

This Akafusa <--link is a thoroughbred, and this video <--link is well worth the watch, as well.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:24 pm 
Forum Moderator

HAP40 held an edge longer than any other steel I've ever used. That includes many of the popular kitchen powdered steels....SRS-15, Cowry-X, ZDP-189, CPM154, etc. Night and day difference...no, I guess not.....but damn close. It was rather freakish.

Brittleness....HAP40 held up pretty damn good to a lot of abuse. I let my family, and extended family, use it over the Thanksgiving weekend (I had use of the prototype) and it held up quite well. It did have a few micro-chips. I wouldn't say it was much different in this department than SRS-15....but it's been some time since I used an SRS-15 knife extensively.

Sharpness.....same, same. I'm sure there is some measurable difference, but it'd have to be pretty minute and you'd have to have the equipment and skill to find it. Very few people have both.

I'll end this by saying that if I wanted a powdered steel knife today, I'd want it made of HAP40.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:18 am 

Thanks Adam , for some time I've been eyeing a SS in either PM or AEB-L
The Kohetsu HAP40 looks attractive price wise, but no Wa handles yet?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:57 am 
Forum Moderator

Wa <--link

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:24 am 

Thanks Mel, did see them , but was more inclined to the Kohetsu due to reviews
How does Gihei rate, there are no reviews as yet, also looking for a 240mm Gyuto.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:31 am 

Some time ago someone bought a the kohetsu 210 hap40 and soon after put it up in the classifieds. The profile didn't work for him. To anyone who has the kohetsu hap40 in 240 how's the profile? And in Steve's video he mentions that you pretty much come to to a dead stop at the heel when rock cutting. I've got a knife like that and was able to work with it pretty well but the sudden dead stop at the heel did take some getting used to. What are your thoughts?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:39 am 

You could always take the heel in a tad if you wanted.

Gihei has good reviews elsewhere. Steve got to play with one, too, and liked it. It runs short and light, though.

As for 240 wa handles, so far the only option I've seen is a rehandled Kohetsu. Tim did one a while back, I believe, that wa amazing.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:16 am 
Forum Moderator

GEEK <> I have no first hand experience to speak from with the Gihei knife house, but CKTG has been using them to smith the Richmond ZDP's <--link for awhile now... if that says anything about them to you. Irrespective of their rating, it's moot as you mention there are no 240's offered.

As for the phrase "dead stop", I interpret that as the profile's flat spot reaches the heel, and it all contacts the board flush. Damn, I wish they could all be that way; allowing me the opportunity to sculpt & tune my knife anyway I want on my stones. I wish it could work in the opposite direction.

To reiterate LEPUS, he also explained that TAZ, converts yo's to wa's and fabricates & installs a custom handle for $80 plus cost of goods <--link. That said, I don't know how affordable it is for you.

Here's a Kohetsu HAP40 240mm Gyuto, he converted to a Wa handle in a Seattle inspired theme! Green Buckeye Burl ferrule, Blue/Silver M3 spacer, Blue Burl handle and a Blue/Silver M3 end cap. He did a curly maple saya for the knife.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:00 am 

Thanks Mel, that's an awesome handle
Yes the cost of changing the handle would throw my budget askew, I've nothing against western handles besides the look which is less appealing to me, I think I will probably choose the Kohetsu as I'm really keen on HAP40 over the SRS-15, and if I need a handle change some of our local guys are good at this too.

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next