It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:26 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Handle coming off
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:40 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mark,

Something’s going on with the goko hammered damascus I bought back in feb. It took the knife about 3 weeks to get to me so I’ve only had it in hand about 3 weeks.

When it arrived the handle was in all the way to the neck with no machi showing. In about 3 weeks of light home use and I was very careful not to wet the handle when washing. In that time I’ve seen the handle separating from the blade slowly. Its a slow creep. At first I noticed just a small gap of about 1 mm, but just this past week its accelerating and is now there is about 5mm of machi showing

I’m not too perturbed by the exposed machi since there should be about 5 mm of machi showing anyway so right now its close to perfect but I’m beginning to notice some slight movement when I put light pressure on the handle.

I could probably tap it in but should this be happening with a new knife? If its coming out now it’s probably going to be an ongoing thing loosening and tapping back in. Can you help?

rgds,
Ray

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Handle coming off
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:44 pm 
Site Admin

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:45 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Ray,

Yeah it's just coming loose.

Japanese makers view the handle as a disposable object that is separate from the knife. Most makers put on cheap ho wood handles and they wear out after a year or two of use and are replaced with a new one over time. Traditionally they were just burned into the handle and the carbon produced a bond. Pros cooks often take them off and let them dry overnight since water penetration into the handle near the tang can rust out the tang and ruin the knife. They then tap them back on and use them for the next day. More and more the makers are burning them in and then epoxying them with a small amount of epoxy to keep them solid. Other guys like Takeda put epoxy around the outside of the ferrule to keep moisture out of the tang hole.

Blah blah blah, it's an easy fix if you want to glue it back on. I'm going to do a video for you to show you. I've been threatening to do a handle installation video for some time now. This is a good opportunity to do one. Josh and I'll will video an install later today.

If you don't want to try it you can mail it back to me anytime and I'll do it for you no charge.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:46 pm 
Forum Moderator

Best recommendation would be to completely remove the handle and epoxy it in permanent like. :)

If you need help with doing that, let us know and we'll tell you / show you how. It's pretty simple.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:53 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yup, pop the handle off fully, put some 2 part epoxy into the handle cavity (the little bamboo flag end skewers work great for this usually!), slip it back on and tap it into place where you like it, clean up the epoxy that oozed out. I like KB Kwik Weld because it is thicker and hardens quickly.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:48 pm 
Site Admin

I'm also going to start selling epoxy on the site shortly just as a convenience.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:21 pm 

same thing happened to me. same knife. mine happened while making a cardboard and duct tape saya. it was a bit too snug and the handle popped right off. no big deal but when cuttibg cabbage its nice to be able to have that handle to pullbthe knife through that first cut. i wanna epoxy it but havent yet in case I decide to replace the handle (which I dont mind but its my first j knife and thought that deserves a custom/semi custom handle)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:54 pm 

Youtube has a video of removal and installation...All you need is epoxy...use the slower curing stuff just in case you booger it up.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:21 pm 

mark, epoxy would be great as woul sandpaper. both are easy to get but some of us dont have time/opportunity to get that stuff. I cant put epoxy or wet/dry sandpaper on my girlfriend's shopping list. maybe a "handle package" with both epoxy and sandpaper of varying grits included. but I'm mist definitely not telling you how to do your job (work reference sorry)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:23 pm 

sorry to post whore but does anyone have sanitary problems with their exposed machi?

Page 1 of 3 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next