It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:27 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Gyuto Upgrade Time
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 2:21 am 

1. Are you right handed? Right
2. What type of knife are you interested in (gyuto, nakiri etc..) gyuto
3. What size knife are you looking for? 240 preferred
4. Do you prefer carbon or stainless steel? carbon only
5. Do you prefer a western handle or a Japanese handle? japanese only
6. How much did you want to spend? <$600
7. Do you know how to sharpen? definitely.

Looking for a new gyuto. I have an Ikeda that's basically a low-tip, flat razor blade. That's nice, but sometimes I want something heavier but with the same kind of shape. The Ikeda moves effortlessly through product, but it has no weight to it which isn't great sometimes. I'm willing to sink a few coins into getting just the right thing. Right now I'm thinking along the lines of Dabney, Kono blue funa-gyuto, maybe shigefusa or kato (anyone have experience with those?).

Help, please.

Post subject: Re: Gyuto Upgrade Time
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 2:56 am 
Forum Moderator

Dino - that's going to be some work to find exactly what you specified. The Kono 240 Funy/Gyuto's are normally about 230-232 ish on the edge, quite a bit shorter than your 250-ish Ikeda. I know exactly what you mean on the Ikeda, I have one and it's actually shorter at the heel than most - they are quite light, but w/o that extra blade weight to help drive it though product.

If you want a pretty flat profile, but don't need that exact KS - Funy/Gyuto style tip, you should take a good look at the Tetsuhiro White #1 240 Gyuto: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tehawh11.html. I hope Mark will get these back in stock. The profile is quite flat and they definitely have some weight/backbone to them.

Another interesting possibility might be the Kono Fujiyama White #2 270 Gyuto: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/konosuke8.html. I don't know if every sample will be close, but the specs list it a 260 on the edge - in your range IMO.

The Kono Fujiyama Blue #2 270 Gyuto: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kofubl2gy27.html is also listed as 260 on the edge.

Heck, the Moritaka KS 250 Gyuto: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/moritakagyuto.html is the same shape and length ;-). It's nowhere near as thin as the Ikeda though. If you're looking for similar performance characteristics, you need a knife that's quite thin at the edge, with great geometry, and a nice thin tip via distal taper on the blade IMO. "Cough...Fujiyama...cough" :-)

Edit - another option is this bad boy: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/funa24gyocha.html. If Mark ever gets them back in stock ;-).

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 3:30 am 

how about the kanehiro 240mm?

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/ka24wa.html

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 5:27 am 

Dino, your list of possible knives/makers is outstanding, so I have no doubt which ever one you go with will be outstanding. On your list the only one I have experience with is the Kono Fuji blue line of knives, and they are very nice. I have read that some don't consider Shig to be what they once were, now that the black smithing has been passed down to his sons, although I have read he still oversees operations and I'm sure the knives are still very good. As far as Kato, I don't own one of his knives (yet) but I can tell you from what I've seen he is a absolute old school bad ass blacksmith. Here is a link to a video of him hand making knives that tells you a lot about who he is as a blacksmith.

Best of luck with the choice.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 5:59 am 

Video was great.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 6:13 am 

I don't think we should post videos from other web stores. Especially If Mark asks members not to recommend knives from these places.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 7:59 am 

MowgFace wrote:I don't think we should post videos from other web stores. Especially If Mark asks members not to recommend knives from these places.

Mowg, I got the video from YouTube not another store (I understand what it says in the credits) and embedded it in the post. The videos purpose purely was on the blacksmith Kato and nothing to do with a particular knife selection or recommendation, As far as recommending knives from other places, I did not recommend in no way shape or form knives from any other place.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 10:49 am 

MowgFace wrote:I don't think we should post videos from other web stores. Especially If Mark asks members not to recommend knives from these places.

I did not realize this was a policy. Did cktg come out and say this somewhere that I missed? Personally I come here to talk knives, not sell product.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 12:32 pm 
Forum Moderator

Mark carries Kato too now, they are just slow in producing enough knives!

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 12:46 pm 
Site Admin

There are a couple that come to mind. You mentioned Josh Dabney's gyuto and that would be a nice compliment to the Ikeda: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/joda52gy24.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next