It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:47 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Gyuto Recommendation
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:59 am 

I've been saving my tips so it's knife buying time again. I have some good ideas on what I'm going to get, but I'd still like to workshop this.

I'm looking for a gyuto to be used for most everything. Something in the light to medium weight class with a comparable thickness. Ease of sharpening is more important than stain resistance, so either easy to sharpen stainless or a carbon clad or carbon steel. Carbon no longer intimidates me like it once did, but I do not want a kurouchi finish. I have a slight preference for a wa handle for this knife for the weight, but I generally find handles less important than most people so Western handles would be fine if anyone had such a suggestion. I have a hard limit of $200 with no problems going under that if a knife is worth considering; that's what I could convince my wife to allow. In terms of height I don't want anything super tall, but something a bit less tall would be fine. Under 52mm, not really a minimum height. In terms of length I would like to hit 240mm at least, but somewhat longer would be preferable. And I still know how to sharpen.

I mostly just want to workshop this and get some direct comparative feedback. This is mostly in the interest of making sure I didn't miss anything. Knives I'm considering:

-Kohetsu AS 240mm: The early leader and the knife I would buy right now without this discussion. 245mm in length, a bit thin but still with some shoulders, and a hard, easy to sharpen steel.
-Tanaka Ginsan 240/270mm: Fairly close to ideal, but I've read questionable things about this handle. That said, with the saved cash I'm halfway to a nice rehandle. The 270mm is of course a bit longer and taller than I was considering, but the height fits the length well. The 240mm would be in consideration, but it's out of stock and they are still a bit tall. The 270mm is my current runner up.
-Sukenari Ginsan 240mm: Also fairly close to ideal, but I've read questionable things about this handle too. Still not a deal breaker, but it's a consideration. Shorter than I really would like.
-Kohetsu Blue #2 240mm: I've been looking at this knife as long as it's been out, but the handle sets me back. Steve specifically mentioned it's a bit blocky and I really don't want that in this particular purchase; besides that, I'm feeling drawn to the 210mm version for a later purchase.

As always I welcome additional suggestions.

And of course, my knife out of reach...
-A used Kikuichi TKC 240mm: I had a chance to use one in 210mm a while ago. I want one a lot. I know someone's holding out on me. You want $200 cash, I'm your man. I just... don't expect any takers.

Post subject: Re: Gyuto Recommendation
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:25 am 
Forum Moderator

LEPUS <> The first thing I thought as I read through the beginning was - is $20 really that much to keep you away from the TKC, but it is what it is. Then you spoke about over 52 is too tall, but when you said no minimum I immediately thought of the Richmond Ultimatum <--link option.

I then thought about the Tanaka Sekiso, as I love her dearly, but most of them are up in the 54mm range like the G3 you listed. Regarding the handles, I LOVE the D's on the gyutos, I despise the "painted" finish ovals on the Debas.

If you're willing to go as tall as the Tanaka G3, that opens you up to considering the Kajiwara <--link. I've never used one; just sayin it fits prerequisites...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:54 am 

-Kohetsu Blue #2 240mm you would save some $$$ and the only thing it needs is a rehandle. Whether you get that done now or in 6 months.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:21 pm 

I also thought of the Ultimatum as it hits the price and height criteria, but I can't speak of it from experience.

If the 240 Kajiwara is anything like the 210, which I have, it is a great cutter but in my opinion not "light to medium weight class". I would say it is at least solidly in the medium weight class, and at a listed 8+ oz. for the 240 that seems like it is getting a little above medium. Good knives though, in my experience.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:26 pm 

I probably should throw waiting for a TKC in there. They return in September, if I remember correctly. It doesn't fulfill my buying fever, but it is what it is. The hunt, at least, thankfully continues.

Ultimatum duly added to the list.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:34 pm 

I was thinking Masamoto KS until I got to the budget, so I like the recommendation of the Ultimatum. Mel always seems to be right there!

If you want a 240 TKC that much I would hold out for it. I will gladly front you the price overage for you to have that knife and keep you in the good graces of your wife.
Nothing beats having the knife you "truly" want!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:28 pm 
Forum Moderator

Lepus, what about this one for consideration? http://www.chefknivestogo.com/rilaaosu24gy1.html

It just came into stock I think. Can you find $20 in your change bucket?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:57 pm 
Site Admin

I've been thinking about doing another knife with the same steel as the TKC. I would love to have someone like Takamura take a swing using that steel.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:03 pm 

"I've been thinking about doing another knife with the same steel as the TKC. I would love to have someone like Takamura take a swing using that steel."

As popular as the TKC is that would be a good idea I believe. I think a wa handle would separate it from the TKC also.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:15 pm 

I have not used the TKC, but I have been very impressed with the HD and SLD steels, both semi-stainless. I would love to see more knives with these steels.

...come to think of it, I would just love to see more knives :mrgreen:.

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next