It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:24 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: gyuto or nakri
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:08 am 

I do have the tojiro shirogami nikari, but i am thinking about a gyuto as my next knife for prepping. I do a cambro (12qts of dice onions and dice celery at work) What do you guys think narkri or gyutos and what knives you think you would recommend.

Post subject: Re: gyuto or nakri
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:13 am 
Forum Moderator

If you want to process a lot of product, I think a 240 Gyuto is a great tool for the job. You want Western or Wa handled?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:16 am 

I prefer the Nakiri for small vegetables and the Nakiri height for scooping and knuckle clearance (speed), but the onion is bordering on Gyuto land. The tip is nice if you're going through a lot of onions.
I have both and switch it up between vege types. Home cook...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:19 am 

of course i am looking for a wa handle, but whichever knife I end up getting I am prob not getting the knife till mid April cause thats when I get my bonus......lol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:21 am 

I am looking for to get done with my onion and celery prep as fast as possible with being accurate as possible.
right now what I am using is in between my global 7 inch nakri and my shun preimer santoku.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:30 am 
Forum Moderator

If you're used to shorter blades, then an oversized 210 might be good. Give us more info please. Price range, steel type/construction, light, medium weight, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:35 am 

For me, speed is in the Nakiri...not only in chopping, but the transfer of food out of the working area. 3-5mm makes a big difference in knuckle clearance and the cleaver profile holds more food.
I have a Gyuto that's 49mm and it's bit me a few times when I tried to speed up. I don't have that issue with the Nakiri - 54mm.

I tend to see more guys with band aid's and Gyutos...but I'm sure it's all about what you're used to.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:43 am 

well as far as long blade going thorough culinary school and a good potion of my carrier I been using a 9 inch chefs knife, as far as the steel and constrution type; I am not to picky as long as as it dosent oxidize my food within 2 minutes of constant use without drying. Price I know I am going to putting down some serious cash for this gyuto but I would like to stick withen the 150-300 range and weight, what would you recommend? heavier good for chopping or lightweight? will oil be necessary?(depending knife)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:26 am 
Forum Moderator

For veggie prep, I like a Nakiri. The Tojiro Shirogami is a heavier Nakiri and a little thicker than some other Nakiri's, like the Tanaka KU and Sekiso series and also the AS Laser series. The AS Laser series is thinner and clad in stainless and will have better edge retention than the Tojiro. For chopping celery and julienne onions, Nakiri all of the way. If I dice onions, I will often use a thin gyuto.

If board space is an issue, 210mm Kohetsu AS is awesome as a veggie prepper. The 240mm Kohetsu is a bit thicker ground than the 210mm Kohetsu AS, so it's not quite as smooth thru veggies. The AS Laser Gyuto's (Aogami Super carbon core clad in Stainless Steel) would rock thru the veggies due to the thinness as would the Laser AEB-L (all stainless) and a Kono HD (semi stainless)or HH (stainless). A good laser type knife going thru onions, especially for a dice, is a thing of joy! Watch some of Mr Knife Fanatic's video reviews; he dices onions a lot and you can see how the various knives do.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:01 pm 

I say go with a gyuto. I like my nakiri for some veggies, but for mass prep I like a 210 gyuto. Especially for onions. I'm still getting used to my 240 gyuto. Plus, you already have a nakiri. How do you know you won't like the gyuto more? this is the problem I have haha.. What about a larger vegetable cleaver? I love my CCK small cleaver too

Page 1 of 3 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next