It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:41 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: gyuto or nakri
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:06 pm 
Forum Moderator

kRnD3m0n - This Richmond AS Laser 210 Gyuto: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/rilaaosu21gy.html would be a top flight performer ITK. Great grinds, nice AS core steel, really nice handle, good blade height. This thing would be a prep monster for you and it's not way up there in price - well within your budget. It's a ton of knife for $200.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:33 pm 

Sounds like a solid 240 is in order. I love my nakiri's but they are my "fun" knives. When it comes to prep accuracy is a must and you need to be comfortable with one super versatile knife. I think it would be a great start to get a good gyuto and take care of it. Will last and be super beneficial.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:53 pm 

I just want to chime in real quick and offer my aversion to the term "fun" when used with the Usuba/Nakiri profile. The knife is as legitimate as any other Japanese tool.
People have their preferences as to the tools they prefer...in spite of tradition.

Using the term 'fun' discredits the knife's traditional purpose and legitimacy. If it's fun, that must mean it's a pleasure to use at it's given task, it's also extremely effective.

A Gyuto is no more of a professional tool than an Usuba, in Japan.

Sorry..Carry on. :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:03 pm 
Forum Moderator

C'mon desol - don't be so sensitive. Just because ChefDurp calls a Nakiri his "fun" knife, does not mean he's disrespecting it's place or usefulness in general. If a chef uses 270 Gyuto's all day and goes home and preps dinner with a 210 Gyuto for "fun", does that mean he/she is disrespecting the 210 Gyuto?

Chef has decided he does major prep with a 240 Gyuto and uses the Nakiri for other tasks. That's it IMO.

Your 2nd paragraph is contradictory - you say "fun" discredits the knife, then you say it means it's a pleasure to use and extremely effective.

They're his knives, he can call any one of them "fun" if he wishes. You view and use a Nakiri differently - point taken.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:34 pm 

No, no... I'm just saying that there's the connotation that the Usuba/Nakiri profile isn't for professional use...it's just for fun.

I've seen it con-notated that way more than once. I completely disagree!

I don't think I'm being sensitive. I'm attempting to be reasonable and 'objective'....without being insulting...a difficult thing to do when facing
subjectivity. I'm not coming from a point of bias...just presenting facts.

Subjectivity makes the world go round...objectivity took us to the moon and back.

I'm not trying encroach on people's subjectivity, by presenting facts.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:36 pm 

Clearly you need both! Otherwise how can you be sure?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:44 pm 

desol wrote:Using the term 'fun' discredits the knife's traditional purpose and legitimacy.

Dude you need therapy.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:00 pm 

I've been wondering if I should attend or not. :) I'll take it as a compliment.

I'm just very discerning with 'how' information is spread on the internet. It's a bad habit from being a long-time member of professional electronics engineering and sound recording forums (with the likes of Terry Manning and others)....where subjective information is tolerated, but objective information is mostly encouraged. On some professional forums, subjective information isn't really allowed.

I like to think of this forum as a professional resource. That's all.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:08 pm 

desol wrote:I've been wondering if I should attend or not. :) I'll take it as a compliment.

I'm just very discerning with 'how' information is spread on the internet. It's a bad habit from being a long-time member of professional electronics engineering and sound recording forums (with the likes of Terry Manning and others)....where subjective information is tolerated, but objective information is mostly encouraged. On some professional forums, subjective information isn't really allowed.

I like to think of this forum as a professional resource. That's all.

The qualities of how a knife performs is inherently subjective, isn't it? Not picking a fight - I find your point interesting and it certainly initiates a healthy discussion. Folks on this forum are typically looking for the best fit and asking others their opinion. That, by its very nature, is asking for subjective opinion, is it not? Objectivity about knives would seem to focus on stats - dimensions, weights, materials, finish, price.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:26 pm 

would there be any diffrance from the how reactive the knife would be on the edge than from the Richmond laser 210 to the 240 gyuto?

Page 2 of 3 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next