It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:40 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Green Brick of joy.....and also, felt block deburr
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:46 am 

I understand (by dint of much reading) that the Green Brick of Joy is highly revered by hand sharpeners (which I am not).....and can be very effective for dealing with old German steel in a quick two step method...(500 grit then GBoJ).
I like the concept "fast and acceptable"......I'm not a great fan of the softer steel and simply want to get a reasonable working edge that would satisfy most people (= friends, relatives and hangers on.....I sharpen for pleasure not profit)...but I don't wish to spend a great deal of time doing so on German steel if i can avoid it (my stones are the Atoma 140, Shapton GS 500, 1000, 2000, 4000)

I seek but I cannot find the sacred green stone for the EdgePro.....Ken has an Oliver Stone of possible Joy....but this ain't the sought after green is it?...or is it?.... and it is simply being camoflaged so at not to inflame the hand sharpeners of the planet.

Thus my question is ...am I simply looking in all the wrong places or is the Green Brick of Joy as yet, not to be had for the EdgePro.

And, for my next skill testing question....I have been deburring as I go up the progressions using Mark's hard felt block....but I find (well, certainly at the lower grits) it actually doesn't deburr so much as self destruct (yes the knife is dry!) ...the burr still remains (so I then remove it with a gentle lateral swipe of the stone) before processing onwards....meanwhile thinking "wha tpart about de-burring don't I understand).

Am I missing something here?...or is the felt block deburring aspect of life only really effective at the higher grit levels when the burr could be construed to be smaller and more fragile.

Much obliged in advance.

Julian

Post subject: Re: Green Brick of joy.....and also, felt block deburr
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:09 am 

Contact ken directly for the green brick , I know he has some. On that note I much prefer the new 2k speckled nubatama. Its a much higher quality stone IMO. Also with that said you have a nice set that I don't think would benefit from another 2k stone , unless your looking for different characteristics in that particular stone. The Green brick is not some magical stone that goes from 2k up to 8k , this is a serious misconception , its a cheap stone that loads quickly imo.

I prefer to abrade the burr off instead of breaking it off with cork or felt.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:27 pm 

I have the Green Brick thanks to Mark's forum special.
Last weekend I decided to work on a couple of my wife's knives.
First up a Calphalon Katana VG1, the edge was not dull, but not real sharp either.
I put it right on the Green Brick for about 5 minutes, then stropped it on a harder stone, then stropped on balsa with compound and leather with compound, then bare leather.
It is slicing cleanly now.
Next up a 6 inch Messermeister San Moritz Elite.
Again,the edge just needed a touch up,
Same procedure, same results.
I got the brick because I have quite a few German and American stainless and carbon knives.
I stop at 2K on all of those, since my wife does not use the honing rod as often as she should.
Even the Katana with VG1 steel responded well to the Brick.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:41 am 
Forum Moderator

I still have a few Green Brick' stones for the EP. They are extra thick. I do prefer the 'olive brick' especially on the EP if you like or need the softer stone, but for general use the new speckled ume 2k is a first choice.

If you have a massive ugly burr, run it against the side of a piece of wood if felt won't do it OR BETTER YET, don't generate such big burrs. When the burr is smaller, just abrade it in place as you suggest. Dragging it through a piece of wood is a last resort, not a preferred technique.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:49 pm 
Site Admin

We have a few left. Close out priced at $20: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/amforedpro.html

I'm trying to reduce SKU's which means out with the slow selling stuff. We have some other edge pro items that are in the close out section here if you want to pick through it. More are on the way:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/closeouts.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:17 am 

chefknivestogo wrote:We have a few left. Close out priced at $20: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/amforedpro.html

Weird never saw that on the site before (and i looked...). Ordered one up :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:46 am 

DarkStar wrote:
chefknivestogo wrote:We have a few left. Close out priced at $20: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/amforedpro.html

Weird never saw that on the site before (and i looked...). Ordered one up :)

I'm really liking this stone. Should have ordered 2 while it was available.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:55 am 
Forum Moderator

chefknivestogo wrote:"More are on the way"

;)

Side note: I far prefer the Olive Brick's edge & stone feedback. It is, as mentioned, a much softer stone, as well. It seems the green brick does offer a higher visual polish.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:47 pm 

Melampus wrote:
chefknivestogo wrote:[color=#0000FF]"More are on the way"

;)

Side note: I far prefer the Olive Brick's edge & stone feedback. It is, as mentioned, a much softer stone, as well. It seems the green brick does offer a higher visual polish.
[/color]

Linky =>This? Is there a functional difference to the speckled version?

Great, another stone to try :lol: . My wife is already fed up with the sudden massive acquisition of "knife crap"
Maybe i'll slip one in my next order

I like the high polish of the green brick as i'm using it as a finishing stone for a pile of German stainless knives, but i've never tried a nubatama so i can't compare.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:57 pm 
Forum Moderator

DARKSTAR <> I don't have either the new speckled 2k <--link or 2k Bamboo <--link stones to compare the bricks to, but you can be assured they behave differently. Call or email Ken.

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next