It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:38 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Good santoku and petty.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:48 am 

tomciopaluch357 wrote:Thank you for quick reply's.One more thing i need an advice for a good knife for meats ? . I will like to buy 3 knifes a Santoku , paring knife and a good knife for meats . once again thank you
How does Kohetsu SLD Santoku 170mm http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohetsu1. ... 5ja8fldWzt compare to Sakai Takayuki Damascus Hammered Santoku 180mm http://www.chefknivestogo.com/satadahasa18.html i like these two knifes and of course i like Maruyoshi HD Santoku 7" and is it worth extra $35

I prefer the Kohetsu SLD steel over the VG10 of the other two. I think the Sakai Takayuki Damascus will give you just as good a knife for a better price than the Maruyoshi HD.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:55 am 
Forum Moderator

+1 on the Kohetsu SLD, unless you require a Western handle. The SLD is a great performing knife. I like it a lot.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:30 pm 

Well my decision is one of these 2 or perhaps 3 knives Kohetsu SLD Santoku 170mm http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohetsu1. ... 5m3qvldWzu and Tanaka Damascus Santoku 165mm http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tanakasan ... 5m4DPldWzs i need some info from experts on the difference of these two knives .One more thing more i read on this forum more i like Gyuto knives especially this one Takamura Migaki R-2 Gyuto 210mm http://www.chefknivestogo.com/takamura. ... 5m24fldWzs now i'm confused Santoku vs Gyuto price is $200 what i want to spend could be little more if its worth it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:51 pm 
Forum Moderator

Tom, that Tanaka you list is a fully reactive carbon steel core, iron clad knife - no stainless at all, just so you know.

The Takamura 210 Gyuto is one of the best performing knives on the CKTG site. Great stainless steel that has high edge retention, great F&F, thin, light, nimble - it's awesome! A 210 Gyuto is a bit more versatile that a shorter Santoku, plus it's got a more pointed tip, making detail work easier, think doing a brunoise of shallot. It's longer length makes rock chopping/cutting a little easier, since you don't need to lift the knife handle as high as you would on a shorter Santoku.

That said - if you want to keep the cost down, I'd pick the Kohetsu SLD Santoku over the Tanaka. It's all stainless and it will have nice edge retention as well. The SLD is pretty easy to sharpen, not as easy as the Blue #2 carbon in the Tanaka, but it's not bad at all to sharpen.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:15 pm 

Well Steve thank you for excellent help and taking you time in explaining a differences ,seems like my present will be Takamura Migaki R-2 Gyuto 210mm instead of Santoku maybe next order by Christmas will include SLD Santoku 170mm for me now i need to find good knife for my wife medium size something good she really cooks a lot on average 6 dinners a week , i'm looking to spend max $125 i like this one price is good but out of stock whats a step up from Tojiro DP Paring Knife 90mm. She needs a reversible medim size for women knife one that can peal vegetables, potatoes, and cut all kinds of food little help Steave thank you

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:18 pm 

Tom, I'm selling a Shun Classic Sumo Santoku (7.5 inch) over in the classifieds for $85 if your interested.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:23 pm 
Forum Moderator

Tom, I'd let your wife try the Takamura, it's light, nimble, and the handle is not too large. She might really like it. You can peel potatoes and like w/a Gyuto as well. If you're talking in-hand paring/peeling, a true paring knife works best IMO. Or a veggie peeler like this: http://www.messermeister.com/Fine-Edge-Swivel-Peeler/.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:33 pm 

OK thx but Takamura Migaki R-2 Gyuto 210mm is out of stock i just noticed that

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:40 pm 

Thx ChipB for an offer very good price but i wait for Takamura Migaki R-2 Gyuto 210mm wife likes it better than Santoku which was my choice and she does majority of cooking so i lost the battle.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:01 pm 
Forum Moderator

Mark will get more, just put your email on the wait list on the product page and jump on one when they restock. These tend to sell out pretty quickly - for good reason :-). It will be worth the wait - I promise.

Page 2 of 3 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next