It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:27 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Good alternative to the Kohetsu AS 210 gyuto?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:41 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the quick reply Mark. Are there any other good alternatives to the Kohetsu AS 210mm Gyuto for less than $200?

Thanks,

Alex

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Good alternative to the Kohetsu AS 210 gyuto?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:45 pm 
Site Admin

If you want to stick with a wa handle this Itto Ryu is hard to pass up at the price we're offering it at. I like it a lot: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/itha210gy.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:54 pm 

Thanks for the really quick replies. Is Blue #2 in the Itto Ryu the same as Aogami Super?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:07 pm 
Site Admin

No, white #2 and aogami super are both made by Hitachi steel but aogami super tends to be heat treated harder. They're both good knife steels.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:31 am 

You probably got the Konosuke 210mm White #2 Gyuto as well. They appear pretty close to one another.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:51 am 

The kohetsu blue #2 is similar in profile and grind to the Kohetsu AS except it comes with a western handle. Blue #2 and white #2 are extremely easy to sharpen and keep sharp.

The Itto Ryu white #2 is also an excellent choice, it is a slightly heavier and stiffer knife which is not a bad thing, just depends on what you prefer. I don't own one but am considering getting one. I understand the current stock of Itto ryu comes with a different material used for the cladding from the earlier batch. Does anyone know if the new cladding is reactive?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:22 am 

I do not own the Kohetsu 210mm but it is said to be very thin. I own the 240mm and it is said to be a bit thicker though still thin in the scope of things. I also own the Anryu Hammered 240mm and though it is a bit thicker yet it is an outstanding knife thought a bit higher than $200. My Goko is 85% of the quality of the Anryu and 75% the price so I might add that to the pot as well.

Two that I do not own that pop to mind... If you care about the laser thinness the Konosuke HH might be a good knife to consider. The Konos are the quintessential lasers and near, though slightly over your budget at $215. The Masakage Yuki is often mentioned alongside the Anryu but is also slightly higher than $200.

To add a degree of consternation the Masakage and Konosuke are both out of stock at the moment.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kaanasgy21.html
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/gokogyuto210mm.html
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kogy24.html
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/mayugy21.html

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:12 am 

alex wrote:Thanks for the really quick replies. Is Blue #2 in the Itto Ryu the same as Aogami Super?

The itto ryu is white #2. Its not the same as Aogami Super. There's Blue #2 and Blue #1 which correspond to white #2 and white #1 in terms of carbon content. The blue's have other metals mixed in to make them less reactive and more wear resistant. Aogami (blue) super has more carbon then the #1s and #2s allowing it to be heat treated harder and take more acute angles when sharpening.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:59 pm 

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I just ordered the 240mm Kohetsu AS gyuto. Never had a 10in knife and I've read it's pretty easy to go a size up from European to Japanese knives.

I really liked the aesthetics of the Itto Ryu Hammered and am also wondering if the cladding is reactive??

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:25 pm 

I believe the Itto Ryu is iron clad. If so it is reactive.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]