Switch to full style
We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Post a reply

Re: Goko white #1 gyuto vs SAIUN Damascus Gyuto

Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:08 pm

Adam Marr wrote:White steel, no matter the variant, is always easier to sharpen than any of the blue's given a proper heat treat of both....at least in my world. The alloying of the blue steel's make it slightly tougher to properly sharpen. That said, the differences are so minute I'd pick based on some other criteria LONG before I picked based on the use of white or blue steel.

The Goko white #1 wa is a fantastic workhorse knife. The Kohetsu 210mm is a true laser.....very thin. As I stated above, I would pick based on the profile, geometry, etc. before deciding based on the fact that one uses AS and the other white #1.

BTW, sharpness OOTB would be a lot further down my decision list than any other criteria talked about here. :)

Since I don't know that much about profile or geometry I can't decide on that.
It will be used to chop vegetables (and fruit) mostly. (sometimes I like to rock, but usually I chop everything)

Re: Goko white #1 gyuto vs SAIUN Damascus Gyuto

Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:50 pm

Profile.....do you like a taller knife, a narrow knife, etc.

Geometry.....do you like a super thin knife (they cut better, but are not as robust), a middle weight, or do you like the heavy weights? :) Most one knife household's prefer the middle weights....we refer to them as work horse knives often times. The Goko is a fantastic work horse type knife. Thin enough to cut very well, but not so thin as to feel unsubstantial.

Re: Goko white #1 gyuto vs SAIUN Damascus Gyuto

Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:45 pm

Adam Marr wrote:Profile.....do you like a taller knife, a narrow knife, etc.

Geometry.....do you like a super thin knife (they cut better, but are not as robust), a middle weight, or do you like the heavy weights? :) Most one knife household's prefer the middle weights....we refer to them as work horse knives often times. The Goko is a fantastic work horse type knife. Thin enough to cut very well, but not so thin as to feel unsubstantial.

Medium to tall will be good.
Middle weight or low weight will work fine for me.
So I think I'll go with the Goko then.

Re: Goko white #1 gyuto vs SAIUN Damascus Gyuto

Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:48 pm

As an entry to Japanese cutlery, I like the Goko a bit more for all the reasons Adam laid out. The steel difference is de minimus. The Kohetsu will rock better and be thinner. The Goko will be more on the robust side. Coming from western cutlery, the Goko will feel reasonably light, but the Kohetsu is more so.

Re: Goko white #1 gyuto vs SAIUN Damascus Gyuto

Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:13 pm

Goko is a great knife.

Re: Goko white #1 gyuto vs SAIUN Damascus Gyuto

Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:51 pm

Its worth mentioning my Goko White #1 came some pretty serious grind issues that presented themselves when thinning.

In the process of fixing it. Gonna have to lose close to 3-4 mm of height to remove the overgrinds.

Re: Goko white #1 gyuto vs SAIUN Damascus Gyuto

Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:45 am

MowgFace wrote:Its worth mentioning my Goko White #1 came some pretty serious grind issues that presented themselves when thinning.

In the process of fixing it. Gonna have to lose close to 3-4 mm of height to remove the overgrinds.



When did you get it? I have had mine for about 5 months, I thought they are hand finished, so maybe a new batch is different?
I did really minorly ding the tip on mine, I fixed it in about two minutes, but I haven't taken it back in yet, the donkeys like to play and all, they aren't so good at keeping it clean.

Re: Goko white #1 gyuto vs SAIUN Damascus Gyuto

Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:22 am

Thank you for the advice, i'll order the Goko.

EDIT:I've tried to pay with paypal for the Goko first, that didn't work, not even after 4 times retrying so I tried the Kohetsu and that seemed to work but then it said I didn't pay enough? :s
I retried it about 4-5 times again and failed, after that I said let's try the other website(for the KANETSUGU SAIUN Damascus knife) and it worked so good that I had ordered the knife before I knew it. :oops:
My girlfriend said she liked that one more and she will be using it from time to time so I guess a little stainless steel won't be too bad since she isn't known for properly caring for knives. :(
I'm happy to receive all the help I got, I will propably order the Goko in a month or two if i'm not satisfied with the vg-10 or if I feel like changing up to carbon.

Re: Goko white #1 gyuto vs SAIUN Damascus Gyuto

Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:31 am

Good luck. Let us know if you need any more suggestions.

Re: Goko white #1 gyuto vs SAIUN Damascus Gyuto

Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:07 pm

Dan_Crubenew wrote:When did you get it? I have had mine for about 5 months, I thought they are hand finished, so maybe a new batch is different?


I got mine during the forum sale. Mine had, what appeared to be, a machine finished bevel, which masked the overgrinds.

Once thinned and given a "kasumi" finish, the overgrinds were made obvious.

Mowgs
Post a reply