It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:23 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 5 of 10 [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Goko Hammered Damascus 240mm Gyuto
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:25 am 

Is the handle chestnut or magnolia? From the review by OP it looks like the handle is magnolia. It looks like you sanded down a chestnut handle? Ive not gotten mine yet but am wondering which handle I'll be getting.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:14 pm 
Forum Moderator

Some earlier ones were ho or magnolia, the more recent ones were the burnt chestnut. Mark got new pics when the handles changed over.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:17 pm 

The one I got was burnt chestnut. I didn't like the feel of it but with sanding it really works in the hand and is flush with the ferrule now.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:24 pm 

I'll see if the handle is usable first. If ergonomics are ok I'll use it for a couple of years till it's time to swap it out. Then get a nice one. No point in tossing a usable handle on cosmetics alone.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:16 pm 

Thanks for the write up. Really love the looks of this, wish i had pulled the trigger when i had the chance.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:24 pm 

Dark star: The Damascus is still available.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:30 pm 

rayong wrote:I'll see if the handle is usable first. If ergonomics are ok I'll use it for a couple of years till it's time to swap it out. Then get a nice one. No point in tossing a usable handle on cosmetics alone.

The magnolia handle mine came with is a pretty decent handle, although it lacks flair and personality, so I just did a rehandle this past weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:13 am 

Mine came in yesterday. Has a chestnut handle. Fit and finish was not bad, handle and tang good fit. There were scorch marks on the tip of the blade, like what you see on the bottom of a stainless steel fry pan on a fire.

Knife was ok to cut paper but the edge was definitely not great. Did a quick sharpen before I used it to do some dinner prep. Not too bad. After that took it to the diamond plates again, 600 then 1200 grit. The factory grind looked like a 80/20 or even 90/10. I tried to even it out, think I got it to 70/30 or 60/40. Had quite a bit of difficulty with the burr flipping back and forth. Almost couldn't get the last bit of burr despite deburring on cork and alternating strokes on diamond plate. Finally just tried to strop it out on balsa with 3 micron abrasive, didn't quite work. Then finally used a ceramic rod and was able to rub the last bit of burr out, think I got it and finished with 3 micron strop followed by plain horse butt. Its super sharp compared to my tojiro DP 210. There's something about the steel 19c27. I'm holding it at about the same angle and doing all the same steps I do with the tojiro dp but the goko has a keener edge. Passes through paper effortlessly and even smoother than the tojiro. I didn't have a problem with the burr on the tojiro like I did with the goko. I suspect I may have gone too low on the angle. I hold the tojiro which has a 44mm blade with the back raised about 1 cm, same on the goko but the goko has a 50mm blade height so its probably a lower angle on the goko. The edge seems to burr or curl with the slightest contact with the board or steel. Think I might have gone too low on the angle or didn't get the last bit of the burr out. Will figure that out later.

The steel does cut smoother though. Passes effortlessly through veg and cuts tomato nicely. The back of the blade is thicker than the tojiro and is more like 2mm rather than the 1.56 stated on site. That does not detract from its cutting ability though. I thought I got all the chips out of the tojiro but the way it cuts paper still isn't as smooth as the goko so it seems the 19c27 is less chip prone but that to be confirmed later. The knife rock cuts really nice. The tojiro is really flat on the back and it hits the board quite abruptly and digs in and literally brakes the forward stroke. I basically changed to pull cutting but the goko is a nice rocker. Only about 1/3 or the blade at the heel is flat. The rest is a nice curve similar to but not as curved as a western chefs knife. Its a good combo for rocking, push and pull cutting.

I managed to get the scorch marks out by using autosol metal polish, it cleaned the scorching right up and gave the blade a nice shine. The blade looks good now all polished up and sharp. All in all am happy with it. This is my first Wa knife and so far I like it. Just gotta figure how to deal with that wire edge. Maybe I'll up the angle on the bevel a bit and see how that works out.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:58 am 

Ray> I can't say I've experienced anything you have. First of all you got the second batch which may be different from the first. Mine is very thin, extremely thin at the spine. I have never had problems deburring any swedish steel, 19C27 always seemed to be a joy to sharpen.

I can't say it chips more or less than any other steel because I really only do veggie prep on end-grain boards aka not an environment conducive to chipping.

It might have just been the second batch was really rushed but mine OOTB was nothing like what you stated.

a 90/10 would be very apparent compared to a 70/30 btw, the visual difference could be seen with the naked eye.

Don't know what else to say besides, two completely different knives.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:20 am 
Forum Moderator

If you are only going to a 1200 diamond plate, that will probably generate a burr quickly. If the edge is rolling over on any light contact, you probably didn't deburr fully I am guessing? Up the bevel a little bit and then use some finer stones above a 1200 diamond; that will make a pretty big and nasty burr! Do you have anything in the 2000-5000 grit range before you strop?? Stropping a big burr like that may just align the burr, same with the ceramic steel. I sharpened my Goko's and there was no edge rolling over.

Scorching or scratching? Big difference there! I am assuming you meant scratching?

Page 5 of 10 [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next