It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:02 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Goko Damascus 240mm Gyuto Review
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:13 am 

good review on first impressions, I should have mine (hammerd version) by Monday... (being in Canada sucks sometimes) I am looking forward to seeing how it compares to my solid sweedish gyuto from jck the Fu-Rin-Ka-Zan line. same steel same, should be an interesting comparison

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:15 am 

It is indeed a Boardsmith board. I love that thing.

R.e. Los Altos: I got the stones out again today and worked a bit longer on it. The second time things went better, and it is more where I want it to be. So I'd say we had a simliar experience.

R.e. rayong: it does not yet seem to take as fine an edge as carbon steel (white #1, blue #2, or 2N), but it is still plenty sharp. I'd have to do more tests to compare it to other stainless steels.

Though the edge now will push-cut paper I think there is still some room for improvement. But even though it is still measurably less sharp than several other knives, I have so far found it to cut most things just as well because it is so thin.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:30 pm 

Thanks Estayton, being a newbie I've only had experience with vg10. And soon 19c27. Looks like I'll be exploring the carbons soon.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:45 pm 

estayton wrote:It is indeed a Boardsmith board. I love that thing.

R.e. Los Altos: I got the stones out again today and worked a bit longer on it. The second time things went better, and it is more where I want it to be. So I'd say we had a simliar experience.

R.e. rayong: it does not yet seem to take as fine an edge as carbon steel (white #1, blue #2, or 2N), but it is still plenty sharp. I'd have to do more tests to compare it to other stainless steels.

Though the edge now will push-cut paper I think there is still some room for improvement. But even though it is still measurably less sharp than several other knives, I have so far found it to cut most things just as well because it is so thin.

This is what I've found as well. Is it as crazy sharp as AS or W#1? No, it's not. What I find this knife to be is somewhat of a compromise. You get decent edge retention, decent edge refinement. It doesn't excel at any one task, but it does a good job if you just need one knife to do a multitude of varying tasks.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:55 pm 

I had one for about 5 hours. Another line cook wanted it more. :)

I was not initially impressed with it but by the time service hit and my prep was done I was liking it. I The handle is really light and the balance seemed off at first but I didni't notice it once I got going.

I did not sharpen it. I wanted to try the OOTB edge and like others have said it wasn't as sharp as it could be but it was still plenty sharp. I will highly recommend this knife for a while.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:57 pm 

The only other complaint I have (other than the ferrule cracking on me) is that the Damascus cladding seems to grip certain foods and cause a bit of drag when slicing.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:15 pm 

Los Altos wrote:The only other complaint I have (other than the ferrule cracking on me) is that the Damascus cladding seems to grip certain foods and cause a bit of drag when slicing.

Interesting. I will feel for that as I use it more. So far I have found the finish fairly slippery and pretty nonstick for such a thin grind, but I have mostly done veggie prep and no potatoes.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:43 pm 
Forum Moderator

I sliced down a ham today with my 240mm hammered, ham was somewhat dry and dense, did very well with it. This is with the stock OOTB edge which was serviceable, but nothing special. Edge on the 210mm Damascus (non hammered) is MUCH better than the 240mm hammered.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:11 am 

My example also has the same sweep as your Estayton, so I think you can expect it for most of the examples.

Not sure I love this knife, but it is super thin, and it raped all the onions I had on hand the other day. I HATE the gaps in the handle. I don't have the supplies on hand to repair them.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:13 am 
Forum Moderator

For gaps, do you guys mean between the handle/tang or between the ferrule/chestnut handle? if the handle/tang gap, I may be able to do a little photo WIP for you guys to fill it; it's very easy!

Page 2 of 3 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next