It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:39 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Global vs Kasumi vs Others
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:51 am 

I go to culinary school and work in the kitchen every day at school work and at home. I really need a 8-9 inch chefs knife. I want a Good quality steel as well as an extremely sharp edge. I want any recommendations. I was really leaning towards a Global GF series or a 8 inch Damascus Layered steel Kasumi.

Any suggestions ?

and for globals, is there a big difference between the G series and the GF series ?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Global vs Kasumi vs Others
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:15 am 

I'd go with the Richmond Artifex.
Go to http://www.chefknivestogo.com/riar21.html

For a little larger knife, the Richmond Remedy.
Go to http://www.chefknivestogo.com/remedy.html

“If one really wants to be master of an art, technical knowledge of it is not enough. One has to transcend technique so that the art becomes an ‘artless art’ growing out of the Unconscious.” Eugen Herrigel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:16 am 

Artifex hands down!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:42 am 

I own quite a few of the GF knives and ive owned quite a few of other G series globals. The GF knives are good for breaking down meat and remain sharp for quite a while, however after a couple months of line work. These knives become quite a nuisance to sharpen, they are very very thick and heavy and require a ton of thinning. They take twice as long to get a hair popping edge as my misono's take. I would recommend some of the other japanese knives mark offers, especially misono. They take a mean edge, quickly and hold it for a couple weeks through long long shifts on the line.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:52 am 
Forum Moderator

Artifex is a great 210mm gyuto to try out. Western handle, but no bolster to make it heavier. I prefer a 240mm myself, so the Remedy, Addict 2 or Laser may get the nod. The CPM-154 is harder to sharpen, but it will hold it's edge longer.

The Fujiwara Carbon or Stainless line may be a good entry level knife as well; I picked up a couple in the Carbon series and they are actually pretty nice fit and finish wise.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:17 am 

I've been cooking for 16 years, i've been a chef for the last 6 i can tell you right now global and kasumi are ok but you can do better for the money IMO. Listen to the folks here, i would have to agree and say go with the Richmond Artifex at that hardness and stainless, which i highly recommend for people just getting into the industry (focus on staying clean and keeping your station clean not so much keeping your knife clean, so don't burden yourself with high carbon just yet). I'll be probably buying one of those soon for that price you can't beat it. Make sure you have the proper sharpening tools as well because even the best knives have to be serviced regularly.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:29 am 

Nicolay3535 has a good point about keeping your knife sharp. You will note that Chef Knives to Go also offers an in house sharpening service as well as a saya for a little extra. If you do not know how to sharpen, definitely purchase the sharpening service. And you can't go wrong with a saya to protect your knife.

If you don't have sharpening stones, you should also pick up a couple of stones. A good place to start is with Shapton Glass 1K and 4K stones. For the Shaptons, go to http://www.chefknivestogo.com/sh2pcstset.html

“If one really wants to be master of an art, technical knowledge of it is not enough. One has to transcend technique so that the art becomes an ‘artless art’ growing out of the Unconscious.” Eugen Herrigel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:27 am 

ok thanks for all the input, i am going to have to do more research on these

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:58 pm 

Its nice to have a knife you can beat up or not care so much about,
I have a global paring I got as my first knife and I now realize how over priced it was.
The price mostly goes to the handle. And the steel isnt that great.
I'd go with a mac or tojiro dp
Sharpness is obviously great, but its also nice to have a knife thats sharp enough but doesnt stick or cut into your board when rocking.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]