It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:38 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 4 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Global knives...
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 11:27 pm 

the old molybdenum vanadium ones are much better than the newer cromova ones...

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:49 pm 

I've never used one other than to pick one up on the store and hated it. So, never even had a chance to see how good or bad the edge was. The handle is AWFUL!

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:57 pm 

rodneyat wrote:I've never used one other than to pick one up on the store and hated it. So, never even had a chance to see how good or bad the edge was. The handle is AWFUL!

i agree awful handle

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 8:50 pm 

rodneyat wrote:I've never used one other than to pick one up on the store and hated it. So, never even had a chance to see how good or bad the edge was. The handle is AWFUL!

+1 Never liked the feel.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 8:53 pm 

They suck for the money and in gerneral. Nothing more to say.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 8:54 pm 

They always feel like a tinker toy to me. LOL

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:46 pm 

The bigger issue with them is a bit more complex than simply loathing them. I said before they give me mild discomfort, and I stand by that. The knives themselves are weak product, but not truly wretched. The steel is a bit soft, the geometry overly simplistic. The handles are okay. I don't like them, but they are not the worst I've used by a long shot. They beat out Walmart knives.

The problem is their place in the knife world. Unknowing people place them on a pedastle. Because they are a little bit harder than most German steels, they are extra hard. Because their geometry is thinner than a German knife, they are extra high performance. Indeed, faced with a Wusthof using a jig, the thinner Global will win in a few years. I take the same issue with Shun, but to a greater degree. When I was faced with these knives early in my career and told they were just swell, I assumed Japanese knives were overrated. Was this minor improvement the limit of what a $100 upgrade could buy me? I would sooner have a Messermeister.

The real demon isn't the knife, which is bad but not an abomination. It is a marketing department that has deluded thousands of well meaning but uneducated consumers to believe they have made a cost effective decision when Fujiwara and Tojiro are right there, making better knives for better prices. When Suisin is making a mass produced knife that blows them away for the same price. When Konosuke is making real Japanese knives that make these all look like toys.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:58 pm 

+1 Luny.

The one thing I think is genuine crap about Globals, hype excluded is the handles. I do not trust my grip on a hollow, polished, tube of steel when handling something sharp.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:55 am 

its frustrating when people choose knives based primarily on marketing. Recently i tried to convince a friend to forgo a shun and buy a fujiwara. It would cost less, the geometry would be better, and the steel would be easier to work. he ignored my advice and bought a shun at william sonoma of all places.

This story is pretty much the only problem i have with globals(or shuns for that matter). ive used a handful of both and they are fine, just not really for me. What bothers me is that there are better options and that anyone who spends 20 minute researching a 100 dollar purchase will find that out.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:07 am 

Defaultanon wrote:its frustrating when people choose knives based primarily on marketing. Recently i tried to convince a friend to forgo a shun and buy a fujiwara. It would cost less, the geometry would be better, and the steel would be easier to work. he ignored my advice and bought a shun at william sonoma of all places.

This story is pretty much the only problem i have with globals(or shuns for that matter). ive used a handful of both and they are fine, just not really for me. What bothers me is that there are better options and that anyone who spends 20 minute researching a 100 dollar purchase will find that out.

I have found it to be mostly impossible to talk people out of buying Shun or Global, especially for a brand that they have never heard of. They buy the marketing and 2 weeks later are left with a knife that is just as useless as their old one. It just looks a little nicer. They still reach for any knife I have over their own. I don't really believe that I am putting this out there, but, Shun is better than Global in my experience. It is better for me to just not say anything except, "I wouldn't spend money on one" and let them learn the hard way that there are much better knives, MUCH BETTER, for the same price and BETTER knives for less. Nothing sobers up a Shun or Global freak quite like dropping 15-20 hours or so of pay on a shit knife.

Page 3 of 4 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next