It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:31 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Glass Stones vs Super stones
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:37 pm 
Site Admin

Regarding stones, i think you are the best person to ask because you know what you are selling at the back of your head so i dont think i could ask anyone else better. Do glass stones wear out as much as superstones? would it be more durable than superstones and would i be able to use normal flattening stone (in this case diamond stone) to flatten it or i have to use the one specially design for glass stone?

thank you for your patient Mark.

Tommy

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Glass Stones vs Super stones
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:42 am 
Forum Moderator

Glass stones are MUCH harder than Super Stones and don't dish as fast. they are also a LOT faster.
A normal diamond plate will work just fine on Shapton Stones.

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:03 pm 
Forum Moderator

+1 Superstones, especially in the lower grits are quite soft. Another advantage of a slower dishing stone is that they remain flatter during a session, giving a more precise edge.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:39 am 

Thank you for your replies, now i think that glass stones will be my best choice. Can you please tell me the advantage and disadvantage of glass stone. is there any other brand producing glass stones or Sharpton is the only one? could i use it as all around stones? at this moment i only have a wusthof and VG10 Kaiden but im building up my knives selection slowly :).

Tom

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:41 am 
Forum Moderator

Shaptons are the only ones producing glass stones but I will give one word of warning and Its no personal just experience talking make sure u are an accomplished sharper before u tackle the gs they do not forgive and if you don't have the "feel" down than you will have a very very different edge or u could have a 1/2 inch bevel on one side and only a 1/4 inch on the other side, these stones cut and cut fast unless u are experienced or have expensive knives the gs series is not where you want to cut you teeth on, but if your experienced than ignore this and hopefully it will help someone else with the same problem or question. Peace and like I said it was nothing personal just trying to save you a headache or excessive loss of steel. Peace jmbullman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:22 am 

thank you very much for your warning jmbullman, frankly speaking, im nowhere near the stage of being experienced sharpener. so now where should i head to? i like to have a set of stones that is hard and cut fast enough because for now i sharpen once a week and i think superstones for me is still quite soft. and i think i should learn about stropping too, ive never heard or tried before till i visited CKTG. do you have any recommendations for me?

Thank you and regards

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:40 am 
Forum Moderator

Shaptons pros will serve you well till your comfortable to move up to the glass stones, as for stropping their are some many variations it hard to put on one page it might even crash the site. I usually strop with either chromium on balsa from Handamerica or I use nano cloth with cbn their are different grits of that followed by stropping with either horse hide or kangaroo. If I am not useing naturals I will use my shapton pros and gs's depending on steel tip but I have never meet a steel that a shapton pro would not work on and it has forgiveness. I would never steer you wrong and that's a guarantee. Peace my friend and trust me you will love the pros I guarantee it. Peace jmbullman. All the stropping stuff I mentioned is avaliable on Cktg site if you have any questions you can pm me or just call mark he won't steer you wrong he is one of the most up rite guys I know and I have been sharpening and know him for a very long time. Good luck and I am always avaliable. Peace again jmbullman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:04 pm 
Forum Moderator

The glassstones are simply stones with a glass backing. I don't believe other vendors do this, instead either having no backing or mounting a stone on a wood or plastic block. Since Glassstones are thin, the backing is required. The stone used for glassstones are very good stones. It is a very consistent series, excluding the 120 and 220 formulations. Glassstones are quite hard and as James mentions require you to be a precise sharpener - not a bad thing. I've often recommended the 1k GlassStone as a good starter stone because it does teach you good habits. You might start with the 1k and if you like it you will like the rest of the GS series.

Stropping is an essential part of sharpening skill to acquire, but I would suggest getting a firm foundation with a 1k stone first. The rest is icing on the cake. Based on your feedback of how you like the 1k GS, we can go from there to meet both your requirements and the tastes for stone types you have yet to acquire. The 1k GS is a stone for both the amateur and pro, giving the pro the precision he requires and the amateur a good start for becoming a precise sharpener.

---
Ken

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]