It is currently Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:48 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Gift help .. sharpning
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:15 am 

Need gift help for a good friend. He is a very very good home cook plus foodie that takes care of his tools. We have made sausage and terrine together etc. He probably owns around 10 kitchen knives but nothing over $100 and no J knives. He has no wet stones, he currently uses a metal honing rod and sharpmaker. He actually worked in a restaurants for 6 months 2 days a week making sausage a few years back. He no longer works in a restaurant and will never go back.

I bought a Goko Damascus 210 mm gyuto on special a few months ago. I am planning to give him that. I have it still in the box/never used.

So the knive is Goko Damascus 210 mm gyuto.

Thinking of getting him the forum special today. Shapton Pro 1500 wet stone
Thinking of getting him the Idahone fine ceramic rod 10" today.

So his gift is actually 3 items.

Anyone see any problems in my thinking? Or do you notice if I am missing anything?

thanks

El

Post subject: Re: Gift help .. sharpning
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 12:25 pm 
Forum Moderator

El, that would be a pretty good combo. The 1.5K won't be great for cutting bevels on his current knives if they're dull or need repair. If he's local, maybe offer to sharpen his knives using your lower grit stones, teaching while you go.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 1:16 pm 

Also recommend the Forum special Shapton Pro 1.5k. I got my order yesterday and after using it last night I am very impressed with how it sharpens. This is my first splash and go stone and it truly is a breeze to use. My other 1k stone is a Nubatama 1k Bamboo soaker and the Shapton seems to sharpen faster with better feedback. It's a steal @ $30 bucks! BB

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 3:43 pm 

I would get the 12" Idahone, that extra two inches makes a difference on a 10" knife.

What you have in mind is a great start.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:30 pm 
Forum Moderator

Didn't catch that - thanks Jeff. Definitely go 12" Idahone - almost same price.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:24 pm 

YMMV, but I do not use my ceramic rod so much these days. I did when I got it, but I don't know that I would buy it again. I either use strops or do a light touch up on a finer stone.

I did use the hell out of mine when I first got it, so don't think I am militantly against them, just another point to ponder...

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 5:45 am 

Love the forum special gift idea, no doubt.

I like cederhouse strop idea too. Since he is a home cook it is probably easier to strop it every other day or as needed.

Not like he is using the knife 8 hours a day everyday where he needs the idahone to finish the week up before it gets the stones again.

Especially if he has knife friendly cutting boards. I'm a home guy and I switched to strop only from steels and ceramic rods. The idahone is lower grit then the 1.5k shapton so he would be technically degrading his edge. Not sure how long he could use the rod before having to take it back to the stones. But with the strop he could get by longer between needing stones.

But hey either way you are getting him 3 kick ass gifts so win win.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:28 pm 

"The idahone is lower grit then the 1.5k shapton so he would be technically degrading his edge."

The Idahone is made in the USA and has been said to be rated 1200 grit "ANSI" which would make it comparable to a 3K Japanese stone. Besides, by the time you need to hone a knife you have already lost that high grit polish. The Idahone works great for quick touch-ups.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:58 pm 
Forum Moderator

Jeff - I wish Mark would put that info on the product page. The Idahone is definitely finer than 1200 JIS.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 5:02 pm 

Ah good info Jeff I thought it was 1200 jis. Makes way more sense now

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next