It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:44 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Gift for my wife.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:34 pm 
Site Admin

Hello,
I am new to the world of knives and know very little. I would like to purchase some good knives for my wife of 25 years. I do not know where to start...my wife is very good in the kitchen, I am all thumbs. One current knives are not great.

I am on campus in Madison regularly...it appears from your web site that you are local. I would prefer to do business locally.

I also need information about knife care.

Thank you in advance,

Rob

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Gift for my wife.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:36 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Rob,

Are you both right handed?
I assume you want a stainless steel knife or knives?
How much did you want to spend?
I assume you don't know how to sharpen?

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:28 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mark,
Thanks for the reply.

I have thought about new knives for my wife for a long time, but not acted...Christmas is getting close and one of Amazon's "deals of the day" was a set of Shun knives (I had never herd of the brand...or any others listed on your site prior to that)...strange cross sell as I was purchasing 32,000 4x4 sterile gauze pads for an experiment with milk quality...but it made me think.

We are both right handed.

I assume stainless steel (at least enough chromium so they will not easily rust, but little enough so they hold a good edge?) would be best.

I do not know how to sharpen, but would be willing to learn (My wife is an artist...she has very good control and the ability to perform delicate operations correctly...I am all thumbs). My wife would be the best one to learn to sharpen knives...she would have much more ability than I. She currently uses a steel "stick" which I believe straightens the knife edge?, but it is not a sharpening stone. I am not sure how effective it is.

I am not sure what I should spend. Our current knives are Chicago Cutlery from the early 1980's. A quick search tells me that a set with lots of sharp objects, a block, and a "sharpener" costs $100 to $150.

We do not need "lots of knives." I would not have a problem spending $300 to $600 or so for a good set of useful knives (3 or 4 knives which would be most useful?).

Thanks,

Rob

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:32 pm 
Site Admin

Try getting 1 or more of these. Kikuichis are really nice knives. These particular ones are great looking, hold an edge well and have good stainless properties. They sharpen pretty easily too. I think you would enjoy using them.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kikuichi1.html

If you want a western handle try these Hiromotos. They use good stainless steel called Ginsan and the are excellent knives:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/hig3gstkn.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:26 pm 

Mark,
Thank you for your recommendation.

I spent some time on your site and am learning.

"in a nutshell" what is the difference between the lines of knives: Kikuichi Swedish Warikomi Damascus and Kikuichi Performance TKC and Hiromoto G-3 (Ginsanko Stainless) Knives? Specifically, performance differences. The Damascus are very pretty...yes this does have value in a gift.

Related topic: How does one go about learning to care for the knives...first do no harm, followed by proper care? Are there local resources in Madison?

Thanks,
Rob

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:57 pm 

Mark,
One more (line) to add to the list of "what is the difference" Hiromoto AS (Aogami Super Steel) Knives...same Mfg as Hiromoto G-3 (Ginsanko Stainless) Knives...almost the same price...I can read the metallurgy, but it's not my line...pushing electrons on DNA Polymerase III as it works, that makes sense...

Thanks,

Rob

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:22 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Rob,

The Ginsan are fully stainless and the clad aogami super steel knives have a carbon steel core that can rust if you don't care for them properly. I have one and like it but I thought a fully stainless knife would be better for you.

We just got some interesting knives in recently here that might work well for you: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/masazumi.html

There are many others but these would all be good choices.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]