It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:23 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: George's Clubhouse Wax
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:35 pm 
Forum Moderator

We've had some mineral oil/cutting board threads going lately. I just wanted to share a product I found at Woodcraft a while back.

George's Clubhouse Wax: http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/202106 ... 4--oz.aspx

I use a mineral oil/beeswax liquid for regular cutting board/wooden spoons, etc. maintenance. Once in a while I'll rub in some of the clubhouse wax w/a paper towel or bar towel for some extra protection. It works quite well to keep liquids from seeping into the wood, making cleanup easier. Again - I use this only occasionally, but it's pretty good stuff.

Post subject: Re: George's Clubhouse Wax
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:43 pm 

Sounds like a product intended for a fancy moustache.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:10 am 

Pretty expensive for something you can make yourself.

Try adding a little carnauba wax to your mineral oil / beeswax mixture to give even more water repellency. It's food safe, so no worries.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:42 am 

I have always wanted to give that product a try. One of these days.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:04 am 

Rick wrote:Pretty expensive for something you can make yourself.

If you happen to have mineral oil and beeswax on already. If not its that a bad price at 7 bucks for 4oz. Especially if you find an equivalent and have an amazon prime account for free 2 day shipping.

Homemade will most likely give you more than 4oz as its usually a 50/50 ratio and its heard to buy under half lb of beeswax usually. So the homemade would most likely cost you more total but give you a larger quantity and having a lower cost per ounce.

But 7 bucks for no muss and no fuss isn't a bad option for a larger percentage of people.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:27 pm 

whosthebestcop wrote:
Rick wrote:Pretty expensive for something you can make yourself.

If you happen to have mineral oil and beeswax on already. If not its that a bad price at 7 bucks for 4oz. Especially if you find an equivalent and have an amazon prime account for free 2 day shipping.

Homemade will most likely give you more than 4oz as its usually a 50/50 ratio and its heard to buy under half lb of beeswax usually. So the homemade would most likely cost you more total but give you a larger quantity and having a lower cost per ounce.

But 7 bucks for no muss and no fuss isn't a bad option for a larger percentage of people.

Beeswax is $10.50 a pound. Mineral oil is a couple of bucks a pint. This will yield at least four times the quantity of board butter for the same price, and you have complete control over the consistency of the product.

Yeah, you can take the lazy way out, but what fun is that?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:38 pm 

I just got two 12oz bottles of Howard Butcher Block Conditioner (mineral oil stabilized with zitamin e, beeswax, and carnauba wax) for $4 each at TJ Max of all places (marked down from 12.99). They had even more bottles there...and they were all made as recently as February. A great deal! Used it for the first time last night and just checked the results with some buffing this morning (bottom side of board only so far), and it looks, smells, and feels great. I'll have more to say after I live with it for a few days...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:55 pm 
Forum Moderator

Rick, I fully understand your point. I was directing this more for those folks who don't have the inclination and/or time to source the components and mix their own batches. I'll be making my own batch once this container is empty. A little goes a pretty long way.

Joe - sweet find! You never know where stuff will show up.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:06 pm 

Both positions (make it yourself/just buy the darn jar!) have merit, depending on your style. Though I may run off and check out T. J. Maxx....

So why, in the ad for the George's Clubhouse Wax, is there the State of California warning about birth defects and cancer? Is it a petroleum issue?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:10 pm 

Having lived in California and now returning on a regular basis I can say that those warnings are so ubiquitous that they have lost all meaning. But the reason is probably the mineral oil.

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next